Sue345
LostCousins Member
One of my Great Great Aunts on my mother's side had compiled a family tree which was totally believed by all her family and descendants.....until the current generation. My elder cousin started poking at the facts and discovered some 'embellishments' and flights of fancy when it came to our ancestors. I became interested and worked on it as well. The tree was a fairy tale based on (mostly) correct family names which was perpetuated in obituaries and oral stories handed down. Some of the older generation didn't believe us when we told them the truth and stuck to the line 'My Mother told me, so our ancestry must be true'.
Sorting out this puzzle was enthralling and I was hooked! However it taught me early on to check, check and check again, cite sources and leave notes for future generations of anything I am even slightly unsure about.
Sorting out this puzzle was enthralling and I was hooked! However it taught me early on to check, check and check again, cite sources and leave notes for future generations of anything I am even slightly unsure about.