I have been researching the 'Scobell/Hedges Conundrum off and on since Tim posted it, I can find no obvious relationship except both were I believe motor mechanics with Alfred Hale Hedges a Master and an employer in Hertfordshire and William (not found with a middle initial) Scobell also a motor mechanic and employed as such in Surrey.
Here is a brief family history chart applying to each.
William Scobell born 1882 in Streatham ,Surrey married a Lily Cannon in 1908 and had 3 children as shown. He served in the RASC in WW1 assigned as a mechanic/driver in a MT (Mechanical Transport). The ASC United operated transport to deliver ammunition, food and equipment and also as ambulance drivers, Employed at WE Blunt, Bridge Side Garage, Mitcham, Surrey. I believe he died the early age of 39 but that is inconclusive.
Alfred Hale Hedges born Little Adham , Hertfordshire in 1888. Either did not marry, or he married after the age of 51 where he is shown as single. He had two sisters who also appear not to have married, or did so at a later age. Alfred served in the newly named Royal Air Force (previously Royal Flying Corps) also in an MT unit as a driver/mechanic and gained rapid promotion to Corporal and Sergeant in 1916 and to Flight Sergeant in 1918, also shown as Chief Motor Mechanic and likely headed the unit. Alfred died in 1961 aged 73.
CONCLUSION: I have not discovered how they became friends, but as both were motor mechanics- William serving in the Army and Alfred the RAF - they may still have had an MT (Mechanical Transport) inter services connection. William was 6 years older than Alfred, married with a family, whilst Alfred (likely senior in his trade qualifications (Master) and an employer) seems not to have married and strangely neither of his sisters. I have not researched to find parents for William, nor thought it necessary considering I was trying to establish how he and Alfred were connected, but as Alfred and two sisters were shown living with parents John & Clara in the 1911 Census I include them. John was a Gardener and Clara shown 'incapacitated' so both girls (single 27 & 31) were shown as 'Home Duties'.
I admit to not being successful finding William with the middle initial 'B' and the nearest I came to this was a W.B. Scobell a Lieutenant in the Royal Berkshire Regiment but decided to discount him. Perhaps as suggested in the Forum it stood for 'Billy', otherwise I pass on this as have others
As for Living relatives I am sure further research on William and family might uncover something, but as the gift was intended for Alfred Hale Hedges, and he appears not to have married, I think this doubtful.
Perhaps others may venture further.