In comparison to other people's fascinating reasons for beginning family history, mine was very boring: about 20 years ago I got a part time job as an archives assistant and felt completely unable to help anyone. As I'd never looked into family history, I didn't understand basic things like the difference between a birth certificate and a baptism record. I thought that if I tried doing my own family tree that might give me a better idea. In those days there was nothing online except IGI, so I used microfiche GRO indexes at work, and my husband nobly searched censuses for me at the Family Records Centre after his meetings in London. I have been at it on and mostly off since then, but am stuck in a time warp, with no online tree and all my research in 4 fat folders! Keep wondering whether a DNA test might solve the mystery of my GGgrandmother, who was born ~1840 in Nottinghamshire but lived near Dublin from (probably) the mid 1860s till her death in 1909, but feel overwhelmed by all the work this would need.