I live in NZ & today I read Peter's latest newsletter article, "1776 & all that - a wonderful discovery" & the link from a previous newsletter re a Cross Stitch Sampler. My 3x g paternal grandmother, Jean RITCHIE (b. 6 Jan 1809, Blair Atholl, Perthshire, Scotland) completed a cross stitch sampler abt 1821 @ 12 yrs. A photo of this sampler was sent to me by another descendant when we were networking some years ago & attempting to find more info about Jean.
Per the attached photo of the sampler, it contains a number of initials. Would these be referring to family members or maybe friends? Jean's parents were George RITCHIE & Janet ROBERTSON. Is the placing & thread colour of the initials relevant? I can only find one sibling for Jean... Janet RITCHIE b. 5 Jan 1812.
Per the attached photo of the sampler, it contains a number of initials. Would these be referring to family members or maybe friends? Jean's parents were George RITCHIE & Janet ROBERTSON. Is the placing & thread colour of the initials relevant? I can only find one sibling for Jean... Janet RITCHIE b. 5 Jan 1812.