• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Worried about the demise of Windows 10?

• Download https://github.com/abbodi1406/ConsumerESU/archive/refs/heads/master.zip . (Virus-check it if you want.)
• Unzip it somewhere (probably best to a new directory). (Virus-check them if you want.)
• Open an administrator-mode command wimdow where you unzipped (or elsewhere then cd to there).
• Type (or paste from here) Consumer_ESU_Enrollment_run.cmd -License
John, I am trying to follow your method, and have the file downloaded and unzipped OK. However, I can’t get the command prompt to open as an administrator in the folder containing the files. I have followed the method on google but it just isn’t working. So I tried directing the file path there instead and I can’t get that right either.

I still can’t get this particular computer logged into to my Microsoft account, so this seems to be my only way of getting the extended updates. It’s all got delayed because I’ve just moved house, but I really need to get this done asap.

Can you, or anyone else, help me with how to get the command prompt sorted correctly, please, either opening as an administrator in the right folder, or how to direct the file path. Thank you.
 
I’ve now managed to get the command window directed to the right folder and file, but if I run it with the -License, then I get the message ‘Aquire License is not possible without enrollment.’ If I run it without the -License, then I get the message ‘Enrollment is not possible without MSA token.’ It’s failing at the ‘Obtain MSA token’ stage, my Eligibility result is success.

Any thoughts, please.
 
Are you using an administrator command prompt?
I fear the page from which I got the instructions - https://github.com/abbodi1406/ConsumerESU - doesn't seem to be there any more. Putting ConsumerESU into github's search box only produces one hit, https://github.com/Toysoft/ConsumerESU, which looks from memory to be the same page. It does say:
"
Windows Powershell script to enroll in Windows 10 Consumer Extended Security Updates (ESU) program via the free Backup option, with or without Microsoft Account.

Remark:

The free EnrollUsingBackupV1 function does not actually need enabled Backup or online account.
"
which sounds promising. (The bolding is added by me.)

Actually, reading it more carefully, from what I remember, the previous version gave two options under Advanced Usage
(which is what I used) - either using an administrator command prompt, or using Windows Powershell; now, it only mentions the latter. I know very little about what's going on here. If you weren't using an administrator command prompt, I'd try that first; failing that, try with Powershell. I've never used Powershell; on my system, I can see "Windows Powershell" under Start | Programs - YMMV. Do have a look at https://github.com/Toysoft/ConsumerESU; you might find a better way there than I did. It may need running under an administrator account, rather than just an elevated command prompt - I don't know much about such things. (As I understand it, there will be such a login on your machine, but sometimes not obvious.)

Hope you get it sorted! (If you don't, your machine won't stop working. I continued to use my XP and Windows 7 machines for years after the end of their respective supports with no problems; if I hadn't had to use usomething else that needed 10, I'd still be using my 7 machine now.)
 
Many thanks. Yes, I’m definitely in an administrator account, and using the administrator command prompt. I did look at that page a while back but not since it’s changed, so I’ll look again.

I appreciate the computer won’t stop working but I’d feel happier having the security updates installed.

I just wish I knew why I can’t get that computer logged into my Microsoft account, as then I could do things the official way.

Maybe I need to bite the bullet and upgrade to W11, but doesn’t that need a Microsoft account?

Having just moved house and with a million and one things to do, I could do without computer hassle! Such is life.
 
Well, I finally managed to get logged into my Microsoft account on my troublesome computer, and get enrolled for the extended updates. I’d tried lots of online suggested solutions to the log-in issue with no success, and was thinking it must be something on that computer. Then I suddenly thought of services.msc and sure enough the windows sign-in helper was disabled. So I started the service and finally I could log-in to my account and enrol. Goodness only knows how or when that got disabled.

All is not yet sorted though. I installed today’s updates, but it’s still telling me I’m missing security updates, yet won’t find any more updates for me to install. I seem to have the latest OS build, though. I am wondering if the issue is one of the November updates, which this computer seem to download and is showing as installed, but may not have installed properly because I wasn’t enrolled.

So I’m not quite sure if I’m all secure or not.

I’m also now being offered W11 - the services thing sorted that as well. Maybe after Christmas I’ll think about updating to 11.
 
Back
Top