I am looking for a reason why an ancestor of mine might have been on Guernsey in 1768 (when he married) & 1769 (when his first child was born). At some time after that he returned to Sussex with his wife and more children were baptised there. He was from Sussex, although he and his wife were said to be from Dulwich when they married. There is no sign of either of them there.
I can see that quite a few people who weren’t from Guernsey were married there before & after my couple. Some were mentioned as being soldiers and some weren’t. It’s a lovely island but it seems a little far-fetched to imagine that it was a popular wedding destination in those days, particularly for those who would not have been in any way wealthy.
So, I’m wondering if there is any information as to which regiments might have been stationed on Guernsey at the time in the hope that there are Muster Rolls to consult.
I can see that quite a few people who weren’t from Guernsey were married there before & after my couple. Some were mentioned as being soldiers and some weren’t. It’s a lovely island but it seems a little far-fetched to imagine that it was a popular wedding destination in those days, particularly for those who would not have been in any way wealthy.
So, I’m wondering if there is any information as to which regiments might have been stationed on Guernsey at the time in the hope that there are Muster Rolls to consult.