Bob Spiers
LostCousins Superstar
I think I’ve responded to more genealogical queries in the Forum, than I’ve posted, but am doing so now as one little query has never been satisfactorily answered. Here is the nub of my query.
(None of those named are living)
Bruce Clipstone Smith was born 11 Dec 1910 in Reg Dis Kettering, Sub Reg Rothwell (Northamptonshire) as per this ‘Short’ Birth Certificate.

He was born out of wedlock to a Sarah Smith (Sarah Jane Smith) a fact known and not disputed by the family. It is also backed up in a recent GRO search where there is a ‘- ‘against the maiden name of the mother.
Sarah later went on to marry Arthur Willmott in 1914. Bruce was brought up by Arthur & Sarah and before joining the Army changed his name by Deed Poll to Willmott.
(It was postulated that Sarah had married Bruce’s father and later had more two children within the marriage. All regarded as siblings, which as they had the same mother, they were)
But where did his middle name Clipston(e) originate? In the 1911 Census Bruce is recorded as just Bruce Clipston aged 3 months, living with his single mother and Smith grandparents. The Transcription records him as Bruce Clipstone – which aligns with the spelling on the Birth Certificate

Why was he not recorded as Bruce Clipston(e) Smith? Was it:
(a) the mother’s attempt to identify the father (a not uncommon practice) or
(b) a Smith family name (or possibly, but unlikely, from the Willmott side).
I carried out a quite thorough search in 2011 to try to resolve this niggling query and occasionally off and on since. I found Clipstone same name researchers who confirmed the surname was variously Clipson, Clipsom, Clipstone. I also found numerous Smith-‘Clipxxxx’ connections in the period and more or less the same Northamptonshire area. (None it must be said connected with Willmott). Nothing ever stood out as being the likely answer, but I might have missed something?
It may or may not be a ‘Brick Wall’ but it is a mystery of sorts. Bruce was always known as Bruce Willmott and knew he had been born out of wedlock to a Sarah Smith, and indeed spoke about the Deed Poll change of name. He never spoke about his middle name and, of course, no one bothered to ask him. Later the family did puzzle over it and as I began my research, so did I.
Any suggestion or pointers welcomed.
(None of those named are living)
Bruce Clipstone Smith was born 11 Dec 1910 in Reg Dis Kettering, Sub Reg Rothwell (Northamptonshire) as per this ‘Short’ Birth Certificate.
He was born out of wedlock to a Sarah Smith (Sarah Jane Smith) a fact known and not disputed by the family. It is also backed up in a recent GRO search where there is a ‘- ‘against the maiden name of the mother.
Sarah later went on to marry Arthur Willmott in 1914. Bruce was brought up by Arthur & Sarah and before joining the Army changed his name by Deed Poll to Willmott.
(It was postulated that Sarah had married Bruce’s father and later had more two children within the marriage. All regarded as siblings, which as they had the same mother, they were)
But where did his middle name Clipston(e) originate? In the 1911 Census Bruce is recorded as just Bruce Clipston aged 3 months, living with his single mother and Smith grandparents. The Transcription records him as Bruce Clipstone – which aligns with the spelling on the Birth Certificate
Why was he not recorded as Bruce Clipston(e) Smith? Was it:
(a) the mother’s attempt to identify the father (a not uncommon practice) or
(b) a Smith family name (or possibly, but unlikely, from the Willmott side).
I carried out a quite thorough search in 2011 to try to resolve this niggling query and occasionally off and on since. I found Clipstone same name researchers who confirmed the surname was variously Clipson, Clipsom, Clipstone. I also found numerous Smith-‘Clipxxxx’ connections in the period and more or less the same Northamptonshire area. (None it must be said connected with Willmott). Nothing ever stood out as being the likely answer, but I might have missed something?
It may or may not be a ‘Brick Wall’ but it is a mystery of sorts. Bruce was always known as Bruce Willmott and knew he had been born out of wedlock to a Sarah Smith, and indeed spoke about the Deed Poll change of name. He never spoke about his middle name and, of course, no one bothered to ask him. Later the family did puzzle over it and as I began my research, so did I.
Any suggestion or pointers welcomed.
Last edited: