Bob Spiers
LostCousins Superstar
I am not often surprised these days, but when attempting to assist someone asking me to judge whether a 'Stella Adams' connected to my own Adams line, I found in the 1891 Census in Birmingham a total mystery making me ask whether her parents ran an Orphanage..except of course negated somewhat by the fact they are labelled as sons and daughters...and all Adams of course.
Take a peek at the Census extract and you will see what I mean. Make note of where parents and children were born.

In case not clear to view from the extract birth places top to bottom are:
London, Lambeth FATHER
Yorkshire,. Sheffield MOTHER
West Indies (British Subject) DAUGHTER
ditto ditto DAUGHTER
Lancashire (Salford) SON
Ireland DAUGHTER...this is the Stella Evelyn Adams I was investigating and find she was born Ireland?
ditto DAUGHTER
Warwickshire, Birmingham SON (and Birmingham is where they resided in 1891 and thereafter I believe)
The father's occupation appears to be a Guns Maker (why plural) and eldest daughter Matilda (West Indies) a Dress Maker.
I am fairly sure my answer to the other Researcher will be negative ((not related) but I am curious to explain the diversity of birth locations, the son/daughter relationships, were they Foster Parents or much travelled perhaps?
What do others think?
Take a peek at the Census extract and you will see what I mean. Make note of where parents and children were born.
In case not clear to view from the extract birth places top to bottom are:
London, Lambeth FATHER
Yorkshire,. Sheffield MOTHER
West Indies (British Subject) DAUGHTER
ditto ditto DAUGHTER
Lancashire (Salford) SON
Ireland DAUGHTER...this is the Stella Evelyn Adams I was investigating and find she was born Ireland?
ditto DAUGHTER
Warwickshire, Birmingham SON (and Birmingham is where they resided in 1891 and thereafter I believe)
The father's occupation appears to be a Guns Maker (why plural) and eldest daughter Matilda (West Indies) a Dress Maker.
I am fairly sure my answer to the other Researcher will be negative ((not related) but I am curious to explain the diversity of birth locations, the son/daughter relationships, were they Foster Parents or much travelled perhaps?
What do others think?