Sarah's father was indeed called Robert Church, although it took me a while to find her baptism in Netteswell, Essex as it took place in 1829, by which time she was 27 years old and already married to her first husband John Hubbard. At least I know from this that Sarah's age (49) shown in the 1851 Census is correct, which makes it more likely that Samuel's age of 60 in 1841 , 70 in 1851 and 77 on his death in 1858 are also correct.
I'm only interested in Samuel (Sarah was his second wife), but I can't find a baptism for a Samuel born c.1781 City of London with father's name Robert.
there isn't a baptism for a Samuel with father's name James, either, but there is a William Samuel baptised to James and Penelope at St Andrew Holborn at the right time,
I'm fairly confident that James is the father, but it would have been good to see that confirmed by the marriage certificate. Now I'll have to wait to see whether DNA will prove it.That is mostly what I found but didn't say so because I thought you'd figure it out for yourself. I know how you feel about it, being unable to find a direct ancestor's baptism record is extremely frustrating.
Good luck.Now I'll have to wait to see whether DNA will prove it.
I guess it would be good as well to find some explanation as to why, if his father was James, Samuel gave the wrong name for him on this marriage certificate - or at least, to have something else to link your Samuel to that particular baptism.I'm fairly confident that James is the father, but it would have been good to see that confirmed by the marriage certificate. Now I'll have to wait to see whether DNA will prove it.
It's not unusual to give the wrong forename for a deceased father (James had been dead for 33 years), and since Sarah's father was Robert it could in fact have been a clerical (literally) error.I guess it would be good as well to find some explanation as to why, if his father was James, Samuel gave the wrong name for him on this marriage certificate - or at least, to have something else to link your Samuel to that particular baptism.
I can't rule out that possibility, but without a baptism, and without DNA evidence, it would be difficult to prove that he is my ancestor. The best hope would be to find him as a marriage witness, or mentioned in Robert's will.I presume you have been able to eliminate the possibility that the Robert Wheatley at St Augustine Watling Street was Samuel's father? I only had a very quick look and didn't see what happened to the family after 1779, but there is always a possibility that this Robert had a son Samuel in 1781 who wasn't baptised, or whose baptism isn't showing up in a search for one reason or another.
It's not unusual to give the wrong forename for a deceased father (
Yes, sorry, I hadn't intended to imply otherwise, only to say that there needs to be something to confirm that the name is wrong - beyond simply being unable to find a baptism to fit, that is. Most of us will have examples of the wrong father's forename and/or surname being shown at a marriage.It's not unusual to give the wrong forename
City of London is fairly precise - while there were a lot of parishes the numbers in many were small. I can't find a figure for the population of the City of London in 1780, but it would have been a small fraction of the total population of London, which was then around 750,000 (in 1851 the square mile accounted for 5% of the population of London, though I suspect it would have been more like 10% in 1780). The accuracy and consistency of his age in the censuses, on his death certificate, and in his burial record, suggest that he had a written record of his birth/baptism, possibly a consequence of his insolvency.I guess it doesn't really help either, that although Samuel's approximate year of birth seems fairly reliable, his place of birth given in the 1851 census is rather broad and vague. Broad in that although the 'City of London' was geographically small, in terms of population and number of parishes it was huge, and vague because it's often unclear if it refers only to the 'square mile' or includes parishes on the fringes, such as Holborn, much of which was in Middlesex.
I can't find anything online at the moment but broad general estimates I've seen previously for the late 18th century suggested around 80,000 - 100,000. But one of the recognised complications in making such estimates is finding population indicators which related only to the City of London itself, without including everyone from those parishes which were only partly in the city, for example.I can't find a figure for the population of the City of London in 1780
St Andrew Holborn, where William Samuel Wheatley was born is one of them - but his birthplace was in the right part of the parish.parishes which were only partly in the city
There is more than one child baptised in this parish with the same parents names, i.e. James and Penelope Wheatley:I can't find any records for William Samuel Wheatley at Ancestry other than his baptism, so there is a good chance that he dropped one of his forenames.
Thanks - I have so far found 11 children born to this couple: William Samuel is the youngest, Samuel the eldest.There is more than one child baptised in this parish with the same parents names, i.e. James and Penelope Wheatley:
Edward on 30 Jun 1776, address is Whyte Fryers.
Penelope Ann on 22 Feb 1778 address is Shoe Lane.
Penelope Jenny on 18 Sep 1774, address is Fetters Lane
He's shown as 56 and not born in Middlesex - the William Samuel baptised in 1781 would have been at least 60 at the time of the census, and was born in Middlesex. I don't think there is any connection.There is a William Wheatly in Holborn the 1841 census