Bob Spiers
LostCousins Superstar
I don't normally worry about missing ancestors in Censuses, but with two of my Great Ancestors -one of whom (Peter) I knew as a child - I do. It is not so much a brick wall as a mystery and I propose to seek the help of others in the Forum, to see if they have better luck. Here are the facts about the two in question.
Florence Harriet Westbury born S Qtr 1880 (6D/104) (Mother Flynn) Birmingham (Died 1939).
Peter Cunnington born 17 Jan 1879 (Mother Richardson) Birmingham (Died 1954)
Fact: Florence was bloodline (my grandmother's sister) and she married Peter 4th Dec 1909 -Bordesley, Birmingham. To complicate matters their individual Register references vary: Florence 6D/457 and Peter 6D/157. This error has been picked up by others and there is a postscipt note in FreeBMD. Peter should also be 6D/457. So they became Mr & Mrs Cunnington thereafter.
Note the Cunnington surname is one of my most mis-transcribed names some shown as Cannington or Connington (and shades between) as well as some shown ending up with "ingham" instead of "ington". So beware of those hurdles.
#1: Both appear with their respective Westbury/Cunnington families in Censuses 1881 - 1901 but NEITHER appear in 1911 as a married couple.
#2: In 1912 Peter is shown in an Electoral Roll living at 172 Alcester Street, in Birmingham. Florence is NOT with him. (This address features in all Birmingham Electoral Rolls after 1921 as their marriage home with both residing). Why is she not shown living with him in 1912?
#3: Peter enlists in 1914 in the Worcestershire Regiment, he serves in France & Egypt and survives the war and is demobbed 1919/1920. He returns to Birmingham where he takes up home with Florence at 172 Alcester Street and they appear together in countless Electoral Rolls thereafter.
#4 Florence dies 13 March 1939 and in the 1939 Register Peter still at 172 Alcester Street is shown as a Brush Maker.
#5; Reverting back to Florence in 1911 I am curious about a Florence Westbury (no middle name) aged 35 (1876), MARRIED; shown as a visitor in Rhyll, Wales, born BIRMINGHAM. If one and the same Florence, why use her maiden name and she is older by 4 years (not that Census ages mean a great deal)...perhaps a red herring!
So that is it and it bugs me because I can trace all of the Westbury & Cunnington family members in 1911 except these two. I have fond memories of (Great) Uncle Peter (sadly Florence died before I was born) - who kept the family well supplied with brushes - and listened whilst he recounted many tales about his wife, and likewise when Grandma spoke about her sister. I would just like to find them in the 1911 Census, but all attempts to do so have failed.
Have I missed something?
Florence Harriet Westbury born S Qtr 1880 (6D/104) (Mother Flynn) Birmingham (Died 1939).
Peter Cunnington born 17 Jan 1879 (Mother Richardson) Birmingham (Died 1954)
Fact: Florence was bloodline (my grandmother's sister) and she married Peter 4th Dec 1909 -Bordesley, Birmingham. To complicate matters their individual Register references vary: Florence 6D/457 and Peter 6D/157. This error has been picked up by others and there is a postscipt note in FreeBMD. Peter should also be 6D/457. So they became Mr & Mrs Cunnington thereafter.
Note the Cunnington surname is one of my most mis-transcribed names some shown as Cannington or Connington (and shades between) as well as some shown ending up with "ingham" instead of "ington". So beware of those hurdles.
#1: Both appear with their respective Westbury/Cunnington families in Censuses 1881 - 1901 but NEITHER appear in 1911 as a married couple.
#2: In 1912 Peter is shown in an Electoral Roll living at 172 Alcester Street, in Birmingham. Florence is NOT with him. (This address features in all Birmingham Electoral Rolls after 1921 as their marriage home with both residing). Why is she not shown living with him in 1912?
#3: Peter enlists in 1914 in the Worcestershire Regiment, he serves in France & Egypt and survives the war and is demobbed 1919/1920. He returns to Birmingham where he takes up home with Florence at 172 Alcester Street and they appear together in countless Electoral Rolls thereafter.
#4 Florence dies 13 March 1939 and in the 1939 Register Peter still at 172 Alcester Street is shown as a Brush Maker.
#5; Reverting back to Florence in 1911 I am curious about a Florence Westbury (no middle name) aged 35 (1876), MARRIED; shown as a visitor in Rhyll, Wales, born BIRMINGHAM. If one and the same Florence, why use her maiden name and she is older by 4 years (not that Census ages mean a great deal)...perhaps a red herring!
So that is it and it bugs me because I can trace all of the Westbury & Cunnington family members in 1911 except these two. I have fond memories of (Great) Uncle Peter (sadly Florence died before I was born) - who kept the family well supplied with brushes - and listened whilst he recounted many tales about his wife, and likewise when Grandma spoke about her sister. I would just like to find them in the 1911 Census, but all attempts to do so have failed.
Have I missed something?