I have a FB account but have never posted anything. I joined because there is a group for people with my (relatively unusual) maiden name so it was one way to meet living relatives.
Recently I have found that, with careful research, I can learn about my living relatives by locating their FB pages. Generally these come up in a Google search (along with LinkedIn accounts, Pinterest accounts, Twitter accounts, ABN/company searches and recent newspaper articles in which someone with that name is mentioned). Of course, I don't assume that the first page I find with someone of the same name as a person on my tree is necessarily my relative. However, by carefully checking facts and who their "friends" are (that unusual maiden name helps!), and piecing together tiny bits of information, I do find relatives and have even added new names to my tree.
So, my question: is this breaking the terms and conditions of my Facebook "membership"? More to the point, am I doing something illegal? I have tried to read through the Terms and Conditions but end up even more confused.
The material that people write is freely published in a public forum where anyone with a FB account can read it. Because I am not a 'friend' of every living relative I find, I can see only limited numbers of their public posts but it's still enough to get some interesting information. Perhaps I should send each person a message to say I've read their page and how I'm related to them and leave it to them to decide if they want to be "friends" or not!
What do other members think?
Recently I have found that, with careful research, I can learn about my living relatives by locating their FB pages. Generally these come up in a Google search (along with LinkedIn accounts, Pinterest accounts, Twitter accounts, ABN/company searches and recent newspaper articles in which someone with that name is mentioned). Of course, I don't assume that the first page I find with someone of the same name as a person on my tree is necessarily my relative. However, by carefully checking facts and who their "friends" are (that unusual maiden name helps!), and piecing together tiny bits of information, I do find relatives and have even added new names to my tree.
So, my question: is this breaking the terms and conditions of my Facebook "membership"? More to the point, am I doing something illegal? I have tried to read through the Terms and Conditions but end up even more confused.
The material that people write is freely published in a public forum where anyone with a FB account can read it. Because I am not a 'friend' of every living relative I find, I can see only limited numbers of their public posts but it's still enough to get some interesting information. Perhaps I should send each person a message to say I've read their page and how I'm related to them and leave it to them to decide if they want to be "friends" or not!
What do other members think?