Pauline
LostCousins Megastar
I have a few lines in my tree which I have taken back to the earliest available records, and where I know the names and some details of siblings of the earliest known ancestor in those lines, but not the names of their parents.
I have never been able to decide how best to record these siblings either on my website or in my FH program. I know some people enter the unknown parents as Mr Smith and Mrs Smith and then the siblings can be entered as part of the family, but as well as not being keen on entering people as Mr or Mrs, this method relies on making assumptions about the family - ie all the siblings were legitimate, and all shared both parents.
The option I've used so far is to enter the siblings as a note attached to the 'end of the line' ancestor, and this works OK if there are only one or two known siblings, with very little detail known about them. However, I'm currently looking at a family where I know of 4 siblings, and a fair bit of detail about their marriages and/or spouses, burials, and wills.
So I'm wondering what others do in these circumstances.
I have never been able to decide how best to record these siblings either on my website or in my FH program. I know some people enter the unknown parents as Mr Smith and Mrs Smith and then the siblings can be entered as part of the family, but as well as not being keen on entering people as Mr or Mrs, this method relies on making assumptions about the family - ie all the siblings were legitimate, and all shared both parents.
The option I've used so far is to enter the siblings as a note attached to the 'end of the line' ancestor, and this works OK if there are only one or two known siblings, with very little detail known about them. However, I'm currently looking at a family where I know of 4 siblings, and a fair bit of detail about their marriages and/or spouses, burials, and wills.
So I'm wondering what others do in these circumstances.