• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

The orthography of Mac- names

Stuart

LostCousins Member
Scotland's People has a section on Mac in its page on surnames (as you'd expect). On their orthography It just says "Mac surnames were also written as Mc, Mhic, or M’." (Elsewhere I have found mention of M'c as well, as a use of the standard convention for omitted letters, though that may be a misunderstanding.) In other words the name element is, and is always pronounced, Mac; the alternatives are contractions in writing.

So I don't think that M'Evoy should be seen as a mistake. It's more an orthographic convention with limited usage that isn't well understood now. That leads to the specific problem that the symbol that was a curl facing right may get converted into a curl facing left or a straight apostrophe. You could justifiably replace it with Mc, with a choice of vertical position for the "c", but doing that automatically would pose all the usual difficulties (though AI could likely cope).

Of course what used to be alternative ways of writing a name can become fixed, and people get very attached to one way of writing their own surname. So my saying it doesn't matter may not satisfy some "owners" of those names. It's a bit like Miss, Mrs., (and earlier Mris.), which were all once ways of writing Mistress. So it doesn't really matter which I write, does it? Well, maybe...
 
I suspect that the reason that newspapers in Liverpool used a quote was to avoid a shortage of the letter 'c'.
 
Very interesting - it seems to confirm that it was mostly about printers.
Agreed. I come from an "inky" paternal family so printing issues are always of interest, along with book-folding and book-binding.
 
Agreed. I come from an "inky" paternal family so printing issues are always of interest, along with book-folding and book-binding.
I wish I'd had an opportunity to discuss it with my late father as he was both a printer and a proofreader.
 
I wish I'd had an opportunity to discuss it with my late father as he was both a printer and a proofreader.
Snap! These were skills that have now shifted to other careful pursuits. Family history research comes to mind
 
Back
Top