Bob Spiers
LostCousins Superstar
For me Genealogical research fascinates by the very nature of it being hum drum and ordinary. Trying to learn why some died at ridiculously early ages or survived childhood only to end their days as Paupers in the Workhouse or Asylum. Discovering work-a-day occupations varying from tillers of the soil –through hewers of coal –and toilers in factories and sundry artisan trades (many long extinct). I love all of this.
In find ancestors’ who via apprenticeships became Journeymen, then Masters of their trades. Watching Census by Census as a few individuals climbed the precarious ladder of life perhaps becoming perhaps Yeomen; Land and Factory owners, or indeed Publicans. Finding the odd professional person like an Apothecary or Doctor and occasions were daughters married ‘well’!” Not forgetting the ‘black-sheep’ who ended up serving time in prison or being transported to the Colonies. Such a wonderful array of people makes Genealogy all worthwhile.
I tend to stay within the parameters of the 18th -20th (emphasis 19th) Century but am quite happy to go back further where the lead is good and the ancestor is direct line. I really do not want to know if the uncle of a wife’s cousin once danced with the Prince of Wales. In short I do not seek, nor indeed expect to find, a link to Nobility. If it happens, it happens, but I will lose no sleep if it stays common and humdrum as I surely expect it will.
Genealogical books -and Family History Society Handbooks in particular- often disappoint as I find them littered with articles about how someone traced their ancestry to the third illegitimate child of King Englebert IV or proudly acclaim they relate to the third Sir Posstlewaites’ 4th cousin, thrice removed. That seems to be the whole raison d’être for their research and the further back in time they go, the more excited they become. I admit to being interested in the historical background they reveal but dwelling on who was and wasn’t the bastard son of the 3rd Duke of Thingy leaves me cold. Sorry!
But at the risk of being told I am of liquorice extraction – I admit it takes all sorts!
In find ancestors’ who via apprenticeships became Journeymen, then Masters of their trades. Watching Census by Census as a few individuals climbed the precarious ladder of life perhaps becoming perhaps Yeomen; Land and Factory owners, or indeed Publicans. Finding the odd professional person like an Apothecary or Doctor and occasions were daughters married ‘well’!” Not forgetting the ‘black-sheep’ who ended up serving time in prison or being transported to the Colonies. Such a wonderful array of people makes Genealogy all worthwhile.
I tend to stay within the parameters of the 18th -20th (emphasis 19th) Century but am quite happy to go back further where the lead is good and the ancestor is direct line. I really do not want to know if the uncle of a wife’s cousin once danced with the Prince of Wales. In short I do not seek, nor indeed expect to find, a link to Nobility. If it happens, it happens, but I will lose no sleep if it stays common and humdrum as I surely expect it will.
Genealogical books -and Family History Society Handbooks in particular- often disappoint as I find them littered with articles about how someone traced their ancestry to the third illegitimate child of King Englebert IV or proudly acclaim they relate to the third Sir Posstlewaites’ 4th cousin, thrice removed. That seems to be the whole raison d’être for their research and the further back in time they go, the more excited they become. I admit to being interested in the historical background they reveal but dwelling on who was and wasn’t the bastard son of the 3rd Duke of Thingy leaves me cold. Sorry!
But at the risk of being told I am of liquorice extraction – I admit it takes all sorts!