Bob Spiers
LostCousins Superstar
I have just spent the last few weeks exploring the fascinating Portuguese family of De Lima. Well they began as such, but ended up in America (Hawaii & Bermuda) as plain Lima and others as Lema.
Does anyone remember the famous golfer Tony Lema (back in the 60’s) – if not Google him – as he was the prime reason for my research.
It all began when my grandson (recently married to a Bermudan girl and now living there) in a conversation on Skype told me that his father-in-law was a “sort-of-a-cousin” of the famous golfer Tony Lema (TL) and asked if I knew who he was. (I said I recalled the name and some vague recollection of the fact that -like Jim Reeves and Buddy Holly before him – he had died in a plane crash). Of course my grandson had only learned all this from Google (as later did I to get more detail) but he said he would quite like to find out how the connection came about as no one in the family appeared to know.
I began the research and found it convoluted with fathers naming their sons after themselves –just as they were named after their fathers. (No wonder the suffixes ‘senior’ and ‘junior’ get used so often in America). My brain hurt trying to sort out who was who. I had to leave it several times and return trying a different tack each time. I managed to establish that TL’s father had been born in Bermuda and had emigrated to California in the 30’s It was a start but further progress was impeded because of the lack of Bermuda records; ones that can be uncovered on line I should add.
Then I had the brainwave to create a separate Public Ancestry Tree to record my now quite extensive Lima/Lema family and its associated Silva, Sousa et al. I tried ‘Member connect’ and to my surprise it came up with some half dozen potentials which I soon whittled down to 2 and after further scrutiny, just one which seemed the most promising. I then communicated with its owner via an Ancestry Message.
A lady responded quite quickly (she lived in Texas) and said she that whilst she had an extensive knowledge of various Lima/Lema families in America she could not really help with any Bermudan information. However she knew of at least one genealogical contact in the island and would enquire on my behalf and suggested we exchange emails. After a few back and forth emails requesting details she passed on a glimmer of hope saying that TL’s (Lima) grandmother had a sister (his Great Aunt) who had moved to Bermuda from Hawaii. Perhaps that was the likely source of the ‘cousinship’. The new contact would check with other Bermudan researchers and see what they could find out.
It would take far too long to advance the story piece by piece but as of yesterday I struck gold. I learned one of the daughters of the Great Aunt had married into a family on my list and one of her daughters, had indeed been the mother of my grandson’s father-in-law.
I actually found it easier to convey the information by way of a GenoPro chart and explain that the father-in-law was a second cousin, his mother a first cousin once removed. Hopefully the family will be pleased.
I could not have managed this without the Ancestry help and that of other researchers and is a good example of genealogical co-operation. Long may it continue.
Does anyone remember the famous golfer Tony Lema (back in the 60’s) – if not Google him – as he was the prime reason for my research.
It all began when my grandson (recently married to a Bermudan girl and now living there) in a conversation on Skype told me that his father-in-law was a “sort-of-a-cousin” of the famous golfer Tony Lema (TL) and asked if I knew who he was. (I said I recalled the name and some vague recollection of the fact that -like Jim Reeves and Buddy Holly before him – he had died in a plane crash). Of course my grandson had only learned all this from Google (as later did I to get more detail) but he said he would quite like to find out how the connection came about as no one in the family appeared to know.
I began the research and found it convoluted with fathers naming their sons after themselves –just as they were named after their fathers. (No wonder the suffixes ‘senior’ and ‘junior’ get used so often in America). My brain hurt trying to sort out who was who. I had to leave it several times and return trying a different tack each time. I managed to establish that TL’s father had been born in Bermuda and had emigrated to California in the 30’s It was a start but further progress was impeded because of the lack of Bermuda records; ones that can be uncovered on line I should add.
Then I had the brainwave to create a separate Public Ancestry Tree to record my now quite extensive Lima/Lema family and its associated Silva, Sousa et al. I tried ‘Member connect’ and to my surprise it came up with some half dozen potentials which I soon whittled down to 2 and after further scrutiny, just one which seemed the most promising. I then communicated with its owner via an Ancestry Message.
A lady responded quite quickly (she lived in Texas) and said she that whilst she had an extensive knowledge of various Lima/Lema families in America she could not really help with any Bermudan information. However she knew of at least one genealogical contact in the island and would enquire on my behalf and suggested we exchange emails. After a few back and forth emails requesting details she passed on a glimmer of hope saying that TL’s (Lima) grandmother had a sister (his Great Aunt) who had moved to Bermuda from Hawaii. Perhaps that was the likely source of the ‘cousinship’. The new contact would check with other Bermudan researchers and see what they could find out.
It would take far too long to advance the story piece by piece but as of yesterday I struck gold. I learned one of the daughters of the Great Aunt had married into a family on my list and one of her daughters, had indeed been the mother of my grandson’s father-in-law.
I actually found it easier to convey the information by way of a GenoPro chart and explain that the father-in-law was a second cousin, his mother a first cousin once removed. Hopefully the family will be pleased.
I could not have managed this without the Ancestry help and that of other researchers and is a good example of genealogical co-operation. Long may it continue.