At a family get together my husband’s cousin, who had started researching his family tree, surprised us by saying “Granny’s brother was married just down the road from you” . This was surprising as we had moved to North Shropshire on the border with Wales and as far as we knew Granny’s family were based in Staffordshire. Intrigued, I started to look into it (yes he had married in Llanymynech in Wales, but to a Staffordshire girl and he had been born in Staffs) Once hooked, there was no going back! I have since been researching both my husband and my trees . His family is based in Staffs, Yorkshire, Durham and Nottinghamshire, mine in Dorset, Somerset, and the Isle of Wight, but we have links to Canada, USA, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand. John’s father was illegitimate, so one day I hope to discover the mystery of who his grandfather was - we have a photo, taken at Castle Studios (Dudley?) but no other clues except that Granny met him through work (we only found out he was illegitimate after Granny died, from his younger half sister) .