First of all, thank you for accepting my invitation to join the forum. I am new to this but will do my best to follow the correct procedures.
Since obtaining my Ancestry DNA results about 18 months ago I have been slowly plodding through all my connections, colour coding into four main groups but with several small groupings which so far I have been unable to find a link to my trees. I have worked my way down to 11 cM. My main groups and numbers are :
Father : paternal - 241 (in case of queries, I posted here in error trying to tab)
Father : maternal - 116
Mother : paternal - 58
Mother : maternal - 81
However, the exception is a large unknown group of 219 shared matches (my blue group). This consists so far of about 40 fourth cousins ranging from 27 cM. They are all in the USA and very few have manageable trees - if trees exist at all they are in the thousands. I have tried to contact a couple but no reply.
A couple of weeks ago I had a shared match, someone in the 12 cM range was linked both to a person in the blue group and a person in my father's paternal group. The great great grandfather of this latter person migrated to the USA with his young family in the late 1800's. However, I do wonder whether quite so many blue group cousins could eminate from such a recent migration?
My daughter is a shared match with a few of the blues, but my paternal cousin and her daughter do not appear to feature at all so I had it in the back of my mind that this group was my mother's side. I do find now that 95% of any shared matches I am getting this far down the line are with someone in the blue group.
Do I treat this single match as a genuine answer to my problem? Am I wasting too much time trying to find an answer? It is all absorbing when perhaps I should be worrying more about the loss of the 6-7 cMs.
Since obtaining my Ancestry DNA results about 18 months ago I have been slowly plodding through all my connections, colour coding into four main groups but with several small groupings which so far I have been unable to find a link to my trees. I have worked my way down to 11 cM. My main groups and numbers are :
Father : paternal - 241 (in case of queries, I posted here in error trying to tab)
Father : maternal - 116
Mother : paternal - 58
Mother : maternal - 81
However, the exception is a large unknown group of 219 shared matches (my blue group). This consists so far of about 40 fourth cousins ranging from 27 cM. They are all in the USA and very few have manageable trees - if trees exist at all they are in the thousands. I have tried to contact a couple but no reply.
A couple of weeks ago I had a shared match, someone in the 12 cM range was linked both to a person in the blue group and a person in my father's paternal group. The great great grandfather of this latter person migrated to the USA with his young family in the late 1800's. However, I do wonder whether quite so many blue group cousins could eminate from such a recent migration?
My daughter is a shared match with a few of the blues, but my paternal cousin and her daughter do not appear to feature at all so I had it in the back of my mind that this group was my mother's side. I do find now that 95% of any shared matches I am getting this far down the line are with someone in the blue group.
Do I treat this single match as a genuine answer to my problem? Am I wasting too much time trying to find an answer? It is all absorbing when perhaps I should be worrying more about the loss of the 6-7 cMs.
Last edited: