A
At home in NZ
Guest
Oh, I didn't realise it meant to right click on a link. Silly meThis screenshot shows part of the menu that comes up when I right-click in Chrome:
Oh, I didn't realise it meant to right click on a link. Silly meThis screenshot shows part of the menu that comes up when I right-click in Chrome:
I wasn't referring to procured documents such as birth certs, I keep those but anything I find online gets downloaded as a jpg.But I prefer to use paper - I need to keep paper files anyway, since I don't believe in throwing away documents after scanning them.
I can't find an instance right now but there was something you said which made me read between the lines, it made me think that you thought it was best not to use it for loading into LC.Why should I prevent members from using FTA? It's a very valuable utility.
Not at all, it's a matter of personal preference - entries should be checked whether they're entered manually or by FTA, and I think most FTA users understand this. If this information isn't in the document you referred to, perhaps it could be added?I can't find an instance right now but there was something you said which made me read between the lines, it made me think that you thought it was best not to use it for loading into LC.
I download it in whatever format it's provided, which means that I have a mixture of jpg, tif, gif, png, pdf, djvu etc files - and that's just for images. But most of the information I collected in the early years is on paper (and much of it has yet to be scanned in) so I file away any printouts - you never know when they're going to come in useful.I wasn't referring to procured documents such as birth certs, I keep those but anything I find online gets downloaded as a jpg.
This is an issue with any paper records not only family history. Well loved recipes, photos, autograph albums (remember them?), and so on. And I wonder what will happen to my collection of daffodil-themed china which I have collected for many years...not even be looked at when somebody clears my deceased estate.
I hate this expression but I hear you loud and clear Marjorie. Having been involved in clearing out two households about 10 and 12 years ago and seen the amount of 'rubbish' made me more aware of what may happen to my own things.This is an issue with any paper records not only family history. Well loved recipes, photos, autograph albums (remember them?), and so on. And I wonder what will happen to my collection of daffodil-themed china which I have collected for many years...
My children and grandchildren live such busy, contained lives that I doubt they have the space to store any memorabelia even if they were interested.
I've checked, there is a recommendation to check each household using the little arrow.Not at all, it's a matter of personal preference - entries should be checked whether they're entered manually or by FTA, and I think most FTA users understand this. If this information isn't in the document you referred to, perhaps it could be added?
I think what you were thinking of was in post #38. Following your comment that you hadn't added anything using FTA for ages because it took too long to check, Peter replied "The answer is surely to enter your relatives manually, as most other members do?" I think this was a comment on how you can avoid the checking burden of large numbers of simultaneous entries, not saying that you shouldn't use FTA.I can't find an instance right now but there was something you said which made me read between the lines, it made me think that you thought it was best not to use it for loading into LC.