• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Problem with FTM version 2014.1

I WAS, but the hard drive kept switching itself off part way through.....before the process had finished.
Sounds more like the hard drive over-heating* to me in which case a definite hardware problem and serious, and perhaps caused by task overload and this can be checked by going into 'Processes' in Task Manager. There could be other reasons like malware or bad (drive) sectors and there are diagnostic tools to get to the root of the problem; but almost certainly most of this is too geeky for chrissy.

I wonder if you have a local computer repair shop close by who can help diagnose the drive and offer a solution to clean or replace. Might be worth considering.

*Check dust has not accumulated to block air flow on the PC case surrounding the air vents and the vents are not obstructed.
 
Last edited:
I WAS, but the hard drive kept switching itself off part way through.....before the process had finished.
Chrissy, save it to your desktop. Check how big the file is. Check how much space is on your external drive. If there is enough then drag and drop from your desktop to the external drive.
 
It turns out that the external hard drive is probably faulty. It has always switched off after about 10-15 mins and a message has come up on the computer. I thought this was normal, as I have never used a hard drive before, but apparently it isn't! I have been using my husband's external drive and his stays on indefinitely, so all the data on my external hard drive has now been transferred to a brand new hard drive identical to my husband's. Hopefully this will solve the problem. I have also discovered that I was trying to save a family file rather than a GEDCOM, so hopefully problem sorted. Many thanks for your help.
 
Chrissy, save it to your desktop. Check how big the file is. Check how much space is on your external drive. If there is enough then drag and drop from your desktop to the external drive.

Thanks, Tim. Now I have solved the external hard drive problem, I will try this. There is plenty of room on the external hard drive.
 
Back
Top