Gwilym'smum
LostCousins Member
Hello
I was recently going through Cheswardine (Shropshire) parish register in the early 1700s. There were burials with affidavit which was used to confirm that the burial was in wool. The constables were called when there was a burial in linen! However the burials were also recorded as "certified". When 2 together were recorded as "uncertified" the minister "ran for the constables". Unfortunately the records were at the bottom of the page and the next line was squeezed in and I was unable to read the words before "Act of Parliament". Now this could refer to the act regarding being buried in wool but I have not seen "certified" before and have been unable to find if it is for wool or perhaps free from disease or plague. Anyone's ideas would be welcome please.
Stay safe
I was recently going through Cheswardine (Shropshire) parish register in the early 1700s. There were burials with affidavit which was used to confirm that the burial was in wool. The constables were called when there was a burial in linen! However the burials were also recorded as "certified". When 2 together were recorded as "uncertified" the minister "ran for the constables". Unfortunately the records were at the bottom of the page and the next line was squeezed in and I was unable to read the words before "Act of Parliament". Now this could refer to the act regarding being buried in wool but I have not seen "certified" before and have been unable to find if it is for wool or perhaps free from disease or plague. Anyone's ideas would be welcome please.
Stay safe