It is such a long time since I used the forum - mea culpa - if this question is in the wrong place, please put me right!
I and my mother Isabel Henrietta Sweeting 1919-2017 have more and more matches to 2 men called Cunningham, James Fairweather Cunningham b 1824 South Shields Co. Durham and his father John Cunningham born 1803 South Shields. I now have plenty of replies for DNA tested people and I have worked out a full family tree for my ancestor. My mother's closest matches are 199 cM x 9 segs, 94 cM x 6 both descended from James Fairweather C, 76 cM x 5 descended from John C,69 cM x 4 from John C and 58 cM x 5 from James Fairweather. I know how all these 5 and all the others, literally dozens, now relate to each other.
The problem is that I have assiduously collected GRO BMD certificates for my x times grandparents back to 1837, and followed PRs back from there to last 1/3 of c18th and there are no ancestors named Cunningham in my tree. This means that one of my ancestors is called by the name of her/his mother's husband, I assume. John Cunningham spent his life in South Shields but his son James Fairweather spent the years 1854 - 1867 in Deptford Kent. (births of children). There were no Cunningham witnesses at the marriages of his 3 of his daughters in S London between Febuary 1867 and 1870. By 1871 his wife and unmarried children were back in Co. Durham. James was working in the naval shipyards in Devenport, Devon
My mothers grandmothers were Henrietta Hurrion born December 1866 in Strood Kent ( 13.8 miles by road from Dartford. The Hurrions were frequently in Deptford on business, father named on B cert as William Ashdown Hurrion, who had a cart) and Margaret Jane Hepple (father named as Robert Hepple) born Sept 1869 in Howden,a suburb of Newcastle (apologies to Geordies if you find this offensive). James Fairweather C may have been on Tyneside in late 1868 but there is no evidence ; John Cunningham fathered his last known child in 1839, was living in Southwick Co. Durham in 1871 and died in 1873. My mother's great grandfather was Robert Mitchell Hepple born 1837 in Westoe, South Shields could have been fathered by John C but not James Fairweather C.
I have identified no Hurrion DNA matches from William Ashdown Hurrion died Dec 1870, or his siblings or aunts and uncles. I have many matches to his wife Henrietta Holloway (married in June 1870) who had a track record of illegitimate children before Williams'. I have many DNA matches to one of Henrietta's illegitimate sons, and 2 to the child born from her remarriage following William's death with DNA match to her son born 1873.
I have identified no Hepple matches from Robert Mitchel Hepple's father but some to his mother's Proudlock family, nor matches to Margaret Jane's brother. I have identified no matches to Margaret Jane's Turner mother, either.
Can you advise this blinded by science person as to how to identify which of her great grandmothers, or her 2 x great grandfather is the Cunningham cuckoo in her tree?
I and my mother Isabel Henrietta Sweeting 1919-2017 have more and more matches to 2 men called Cunningham, James Fairweather Cunningham b 1824 South Shields Co. Durham and his father John Cunningham born 1803 South Shields. I now have plenty of replies for DNA tested people and I have worked out a full family tree for my ancestor. My mother's closest matches are 199 cM x 9 segs, 94 cM x 6 both descended from James Fairweather C, 76 cM x 5 descended from John C,69 cM x 4 from John C and 58 cM x 5 from James Fairweather. I know how all these 5 and all the others, literally dozens, now relate to each other.
The problem is that I have assiduously collected GRO BMD certificates for my x times grandparents back to 1837, and followed PRs back from there to last 1/3 of c18th and there are no ancestors named Cunningham in my tree. This means that one of my ancestors is called by the name of her/his mother's husband, I assume. John Cunningham spent his life in South Shields but his son James Fairweather spent the years 1854 - 1867 in Deptford Kent. (births of children). There were no Cunningham witnesses at the marriages of his 3 of his daughters in S London between Febuary 1867 and 1870. By 1871 his wife and unmarried children were back in Co. Durham. James was working in the naval shipyards in Devenport, Devon
My mothers grandmothers were Henrietta Hurrion born December 1866 in Strood Kent ( 13.8 miles by road from Dartford. The Hurrions were frequently in Deptford on business, father named on B cert as William Ashdown Hurrion, who had a cart) and Margaret Jane Hepple (father named as Robert Hepple) born Sept 1869 in Howden,a suburb of Newcastle (apologies to Geordies if you find this offensive). James Fairweather C may have been on Tyneside in late 1868 but there is no evidence ; John Cunningham fathered his last known child in 1839, was living in Southwick Co. Durham in 1871 and died in 1873. My mother's great grandfather was Robert Mitchell Hepple born 1837 in Westoe, South Shields could have been fathered by John C but not James Fairweather C.
I have identified no Hurrion DNA matches from William Ashdown Hurrion died Dec 1870, or his siblings or aunts and uncles. I have many matches to his wife Henrietta Holloway (married in June 1870) who had a track record of illegitimate children before Williams'. I have many DNA matches to one of Henrietta's illegitimate sons, and 2 to the child born from her remarriage following William's death with DNA match to her son born 1873.
I have identified no Hepple matches from Robert Mitchel Hepple's father but some to his mother's Proudlock family, nor matches to Margaret Jane's brother. I have identified no matches to Margaret Jane's Turner mother, either.
Can you advise this blinded by science person as to how to identify which of her great grandmothers, or her 2 x great grandfather is the Cunningham cuckoo in her tree?
Last edited by a moderator: