Is that because THEIR trees are wrong, or because MyHeritage have used information from third-party trees to weave together the connection (much as Ancestry does for Common Ancestors)?I don't know how they've done this but many of the supposed cousins are not mine!
Because?they use owners who haven't been on the site for 2 years or more-no point contacting them!
Having an online tree IS using the site. Why on earth should they log in if they don't have anything to add? If someone tries to contact them they'll get an email.Why do they keep trees for longer than 1 year if the owners no longer use the site? I guess it's similar with Ancestry too.
Do you really need a MyHeritage subscription to respond to respond to a message? I don't know of any other site where that is necessary.In the past when I've contacted such owners by phone, they told me that MH was given to them as a gift and after the first year they didn't resubscribe. One owner hasn't been on for 8 years!
That doesn't exactly answer my question. I don't have a subscription but I can still reply to emails from DNA matches (I can send them too). However I don't think I've ever received a message from someone who isn't a DNA match for me (or one of the tests I manage).My Heritage is unique!
If what you're now saying is that people who have posted trees on MyHeritage could reply to your messages, but don't, that matches what many people have said about Ancestry.It seems a lot of MH tree owners got MH as a gift for one year and never resubscribed. MH is telling me that I have all these new cousins and to send the new cousin a message to check it out. In my opinion now it's a waste of my time and effort as very few reply to my messages and I've told MH exactly that, so they in their wisdom have added a month to my sub! It seems to me that anyone who put their tree on MH 8 years ago is unlikely to respond to messages.
On the one hand you have low expectations of getting a reply, on the other hand you find it "totally frustrating and disappointing when they don't reply". This sounds a little incongruous to me: perhaps you're a glass half-empty person?I always send a message to alleged cousins on both Ancestry and MH but seldom get a reply especially if they haven't been on the sites for more than a year; I send follow ups too but it's totally frustrating and disappointing when they don't reply.