Britjan
LostCousins Star
Having taken advantage of the opportunity to buy a short term subscription to Ancestry UK (thanks Peter for the heads up
) I've been looking back at some of my earliest research. I've been comparing what I had garnered from various sources ( including guest memberships, shared trees etc. etc. ) and going back to check sources principally at FMP and Ancestry UK. Now I am taking a closer look at electoral registers, probate records etc.
I share the story because I hope to learn from it in the "legacy" I leave my children. What they choose to do with it will be up to them and I'm sure there are some great missed ops stories out there.
Two of my lost opportunities wouldn't be possible without time travel but I'd love to know why my maternal grandfather's brother and his wife chose to live apart for almost their entire married life, ( thank you 1901, 1911 census and electoral records c 1921 -1935) I've also just learned that the same brother had obviously chosen to stay in contact with another sister who I had originally been unable to track. He is named in the probate records ( another good source) and since his occupation is noted I have a fair degree of confidence that I've tracked this missing sister down. It came as a complete shock to learn that she probably came to Canada in 1910 and died less than a year later. I hope to track down and visit her final resting place.
The third I regret the most because it turns out that my mother's step brother's only child died in 1998 about five years before I got serious about my family research. I knew that my step uncle (from my maternal grandmother's first marriage) was almost a generation older than my mother and a naval man so they were never in close contact. My cousin, again about a generation older than me appears to have never married and had a long career "aboard" a shore based ship so I'm hoping I can at least trace some colleagues of his. (Thank you electoral registers , BMD , phone books, long service medal records, and Forces reunion websites). When next in the UK I will at the very least hope to visit his final resting place as well.
I share the story because I hope to learn from it in the "legacy" I leave my children. What they choose to do with it will be up to them and I'm sure there are some great missed ops stories out there.
Two of my lost opportunities wouldn't be possible without time travel but I'd love to know why my maternal grandfather's brother and his wife chose to live apart for almost their entire married life, ( thank you 1901, 1911 census and electoral records c 1921 -1935) I've also just learned that the same brother had obviously chosen to stay in contact with another sister who I had originally been unable to track. He is named in the probate records ( another good source) and since his occupation is noted I have a fair degree of confidence that I've tracked this missing sister down. It came as a complete shock to learn that she probably came to Canada in 1910 and died less than a year later. I hope to track down and visit her final resting place.
The third I regret the most because it turns out that my mother's step brother's only child died in 1998 about five years before I got serious about my family research. I knew that my step uncle (from my maternal grandmother's first marriage) was almost a generation older than my mother and a naval man so they were never in close contact. My cousin, again about a generation older than me appears to have never married and had a long career "aboard" a shore based ship so I'm hoping I can at least trace some colleagues of his. (Thank you electoral registers , BMD , phone books, long service medal records, and Forces reunion websites). When next in the UK I will at the very least hope to visit his final resting place as well.