• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Military Prison Records 1939/1940

Willibrod

LostCousins Member
I am looking for records on a relative that was in military prison 1940 . He was called up for service but went awol .
He was living in London . He say that he was transferred from prison with other prisoners to the same army unit .
I have obtained his army records .there is no mention of prison
 
I am looking for records on a relative that was in military prison 1940 . He was called up for service but went awol .
He was living in London . He say that he was transferred from prison with other prisoners to the same army unit .
I have obtained his army records .there is no mention of prison
the only records I can find are for POWs and he obviously doesn't fall into that category.
If you obtained his army records from Ancestry you might find a more extensive record if you order from the GRO, see this link.
 
I have his army service records . They begin in June 1940. His story was that he was called up in 1939 but went Awol during the blitz. Eventually arrested and sent to prison . In prison he met some professional criminals . They all ended up in the same unit .
He had some great stories about their adventures during the war .
 
The official term for awol is desertion. I used the phrase 'uk military deserter records' in Google which presented a list of possible websites. I looked at the Courts Martial and Desertion in the British Army. Here. Reading through some of it I get the impression you may find something in Fold3 and I have a sub for that, if you want me to look send me a PM.

On re-reading your post I now get the impression the prison term was short, especially as he was able to tell stories about his adventures. Maybe it was a few days? in which case I doubt there would be too much on record, sorry to sound negative.
 
Back
Top