• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Llanymynech

Zojo

LostCousins Member
Do you suspect that your ancestors may have been involved in quarrying or limeworks in the Llanymynech area of Shropshire? I am creating a database of the limemen and rockmen (one woman so far) of the area and may be able to help.
The database also covers Pant and Crickheath
 
My 2 x great grandfather Edward Onions lived in Llanyblodwell and on the 1871 census is shown as a Stone Quarry Labourer. In 1881 his profession is given as Quarryman, lime (as are his neighbours). By 1881 he is shown as a general labourer but living in Sweeney. Do you have him in your database?
 
I have concentrated on the quarry workers on Llanymynech Hill so don't have your Edward who more likely worked at the Nant Mawr , Porth y Waen or Llynclys quarries. This last is the closest to Sweeney and is still going, run by Lafarge Tarmac. I'll make a note of his name and keep on the lookout for him (and put him on my database)

You might find some maps and photographs of interest here . If you look under 'villages' you'll find pics of Llanyblodwel.
 
Do you suspect that your ancestors may have been involved in quarrying or limeworks in the Llanymynech area of Shropshire? I am creating a database of the limemen and rockmen (one woman so far) of the area and may be able to help.
The database also covers Pant and Crickheath
Hello Zojo
I have recently joined the Forum and saw your post regarding your database. I have DITCHERs and TREVORs who were from Pant and Llanymynech, and who worked as limestone quarrymen. Do you have these names in your database? Many thanks.
 
Back
Top