Helen7
LostCousins Superstar
All four of my grandparents died before I was born, so my knowledge of them was limited to scraps of information gleaned from my parents, which wasn't very much as they'd both lost their parents young: my mother never knew her mother as she'd died when my mother was born and my Dad's father died when he was 12. We had a few old family photos, but not much else.
I was inspired to find out more when I came across my paternal grandparents' 1912 marriage certificate, a beautifully written, ornate document, my favourite to this day. Reading their occupations - cotton weaver and housemaid - and those of their fathers - innkeeper and stonemason - got me wondering what their lives were like in that pre-WW1 era, where they'd lived, who their families were, etc. Also, as an only child of two only children, I had no other close relatives, so was curious to discover my wider family. I didn't have much to go on, but I soon found myself piecing together the bits I knew and started to trace my family tree, initially using free on-line resources such as the IGI and 1881 census.
And so this fascinating hobby started for me 12 years ago. Both my parents had passed away by then, and I wish I'd started earlier, as I think they would have been fascinated to learn all I have been able to discover about their forebears and cousins.
I was inspired to find out more when I came across my paternal grandparents' 1912 marriage certificate, a beautifully written, ornate document, my favourite to this day. Reading their occupations - cotton weaver and housemaid - and those of their fathers - innkeeper and stonemason - got me wondering what their lives were like in that pre-WW1 era, where they'd lived, who their families were, etc. Also, as an only child of two only children, I had no other close relatives, so was curious to discover my wider family. I didn't have much to go on, but I soon found myself piecing together the bits I knew and started to trace my family tree, initially using free on-line resources such as the IGI and 1881 census.
And so this fascinating hobby started for me 12 years ago. Both my parents had passed away by then, and I wish I'd started earlier, as I think they would have been fascinated to learn all I have been able to discover about their forebears and cousins.