The Rhymer
LostCousins Member
I'm forever grateful that so far DNA has confirmed the assumptions I made 20 years ago, but it might not have worked out that way since very few of my ancestors made wills.
You made assumptions?!
Peter, I am shocked
I'm forever grateful that so far DNA has confirmed the assumptions I made 20 years ago, but it might not have worked out that way since very few of my ancestors made wills.
Taking account of the 1841 census, have you looked into the William and John Garland baptised in Sleaford in 1814 and 1815? Their mother is given as Mary, so if your William Garland married twice, maybe he married a Mary between 1809 and 1814.But he can't have married Mary Keeton - whoever she may have been - as the Garland-Keeton marriage took place in 1806, and William and Ann had Elizabeth in 1807 and Thomas
Who registered the deaths of William Garland and his wife Mary? Are there any clues there?
Taking account of the 1841 census, have you looked into the William and John Garland baptised in Sleaford in 1814 and 1815? Their mother is given as Mary, so if your William Garland married twice, maybe he married a Mary between 1809 and 1814.
However, I wouldn’t want to discount the possibility that the mother’s name was entered incorrectly in the Leadenham register. I’m not saying it was, only that it’s a possibility to consider.
Although a match between two specific 5th cousins is slightly odds against - just under 1 in 3 according to the table in the Masterclass - anyone who has tested at Ancestry will have many thousands of matches with people who are 5th cousins or more distant. So your Ancestry contact is being overly-pessimistic. Send her a link to my DNA Masterclass - she'll thank you for it one day.I messaged someone on Ancestry last week, as Mary Keeton's mother re-married after her first husband died and, at the ripe old age of 41 (for then) produced a healthy boy who lived and married and had issue. I wondered if there would be a DNA match if Mary's mother was in both our trees, but she said that anything more than a 3 x great gf/gm would leave so little trace as to be negligeable. Peter will know what to say about that. She was going to ask the actual owner of the tree (a son), but hasn't got back to me yet.
I'd be inclined to put them both back in, especially since your William Garland appears in the 1861 census as father of John. John Garland married Ann Barlow in Sleaford in 1839. William Garland appears to have married twice, although both times as a bachelor! He married first Ann Clark in 1842 (she was buried a few months later) and then Maria Smith in 1843, both marriages in Sleaford. I think this William's signature is pretty similar to the William Garlant* (sic) who witnessed Elizabeth's marriage.I had both the other boys in my tree but I spent a good part of the day deleting Garlands all over, including them.
That a marriage doesn't show up at Ancestry or FMP doesn't mean there wasn't one. Not only might a marriage register may be missing or not online, neither site has perfect transcriptions, so a marriage may be there but not show up in a search. The lack of a burial of a previous wife is significant, but it would be advisable to browse the registers for both Leadenham and Sleaford between 1809 and 1814 to confirm that a possible burial hasn't been lost in transcription. And while, with the Leadenham baptisms, it was not unknown for mistakes in registers to be repeated, it does complicate things. But on the whole I think the 1806 marriage in Metheringham has to be at least a possibility, even it does take you back to where this thread started.But the lack of other possible marriages, and no burial for an Ann Garland between two possible marriages, does make me think that you might well have a point.
I suspect most family tree programs will allow you to cut off a branch - mine certainly does. You never know when the information will come in handy, even for the purposes of elimination.I spent a good part of the day deleting Garlands