Carla
LostCousins Star
This week I have been researching some ancestors that were born in the mid 1700s, and I have come across a bit of a problem. Let me explain, and then could anyone advise me on what to look for please.....
A direct ancestor is Elizabeth Gradley b1788 St George in the East, Tower Hamlets, Middlesex
her baptism states her parents are Robt Gradley and Ann Gradley and they married in 1782. I know Ann's maiden name is Falder. So far so good and I am happy this is the correct person.
I have been trying to identify her father Robert, and have found two possibilities.
One is
NAME: Robert Gridley
PARENTS: Robert Gridley
Anne Gridley
BAPTISM: 19 Jan 1751 - St Paul, Shadwell, Middlesex, England
or
NAME: Robert Gridley
PARENTS: Robert Gridley
Elizabeth Gridley
BAPTISM: 5 Mar 1760 - All Hallows the Great, London, England
So how do I choose which one is correct? I originally had the second one in my tree but on checking out a lot of other ancestral trees the first option seems to be the prefered choice. Both have Robert as father. Every tree I looked at has Elizabeth's grandfather the same as I do bcause there only appears to be one Robert born around the correct time and in the area
London, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812 about Robert Gradley
Name:Robert Gradley
Baptism Date:8 Mar 1729
Parish:St Mary, Whitechapel
County:Middlesex
Borough:Tower Hamlets
Parent(s):John,
Elizabeth
Record Type:Baptism
Register TypeParish Register
So the only thing that seems to cause a problem for everyone to decide is was Elizabeth's father born in 1751 or 1760? Was his mother Ann or Elizabeth? How do you chose which one is correct? I must be missing something but I feel a bit brain dead now as I have been mulling this over for three days now. Help!
A direct ancestor is Elizabeth Gradley b1788 St George in the East, Tower Hamlets, Middlesex
her baptism states her parents are Robt Gradley and Ann Gradley and they married in 1782. I know Ann's maiden name is Falder. So far so good and I am happy this is the correct person.
I have been trying to identify her father Robert, and have found two possibilities.
One is
NAME: Robert Gridley
PARENTS: Robert Gridley
Anne Gridley
BAPTISM: 19 Jan 1751 - St Paul, Shadwell, Middlesex, England
or
NAME: Robert Gridley
PARENTS: Robert Gridley
Elizabeth Gridley
BAPTISM: 5 Mar 1760 - All Hallows the Great, London, England
So how do I choose which one is correct? I originally had the second one in my tree but on checking out a lot of other ancestral trees the first option seems to be the prefered choice. Both have Robert as father. Every tree I looked at has Elizabeth's grandfather the same as I do bcause there only appears to be one Robert born around the correct time and in the area
London, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812 about Robert Gradley
Name:Robert Gradley
Baptism Date:8 Mar 1729
Parish:St Mary, Whitechapel
County:Middlesex
Borough:Tower Hamlets
Parent(s):John,
Elizabeth
Record Type:Baptism
Register TypeParish Register
So the only thing that seems to cause a problem for everyone to decide is was Elizabeth's father born in 1751 or 1760? Was his mother Ann or Elizabeth? How do you chose which one is correct? I must be missing something but I feel a bit brain dead now as I have been mulling this over for three days now. Help!