Liberty
LostCousins Megastar
I am looking for guidance on finding out more about my Great grandfather and his forebears.
Basically all I KNOW is that the man existed, and that he was called Robert Campbell. The family story is that he came to South Shields (in England) as a boy, with the intention of going to sea, and that he then had no parents or siblings. He said he was born about 1856 (but history is full of boys lying about their age, particulalalry to get work, so I can't be sure of that) and when he married, he said his father's name was Robert. He also asked his daughter in law (my grandmother) to name her unborn baby Jessie if it was a girl, and I have found a christening record for a child of his (who died in infancy) who had the middle name Jessie. I THINK this may have been his mother's name, and there was also some tradition that his mother came from Manchester, but I would rate both of these 'facts' as doubtful. I am slightly surer that he had been living in Queen's Park in Glasgow. That is the sum total. I may add that he did indeed become a sailor, and seems to have specialised in being away from home on census night!
Any ideas welcomed
Basically all I KNOW is that the man existed, and that he was called Robert Campbell. The family story is that he came to South Shields (in England) as a boy, with the intention of going to sea, and that he then had no parents or siblings. He said he was born about 1856 (but history is full of boys lying about their age, particulalalry to get work, so I can't be sure of that) and when he married, he said his father's name was Robert. He also asked his daughter in law (my grandmother) to name her unborn baby Jessie if it was a girl, and I have found a christening record for a child of his (who died in infancy) who had the middle name Jessie. I THINK this may have been his mother's name, and there was also some tradition that his mother came from Manchester, but I would rate both of these 'facts' as doubtful. I am slightly surer that he had been living in Queen's Park in Glasgow. That is the sum total. I may add that he did indeed become a sailor, and seems to have specialised in being away from home on census night!
Any ideas welcomed

























