• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Gateway Ancestors

The Rhymer

LostCousins Member
I have just been catching up with some LC newsletters, having been out of touch, and was interested by the paragraph in that of midjul25 about Gateway Ancestors. I'm not trying to find blue blood or links to royalty, but Debrett's says that I have a link to an Earl of Lincoln.

I have two separate Gaunt families in my tree, who meet up in my grandmother, a descendant of the Lincolnshire-who-moved-to-Lancashire-lot who married a descendant of the Staffordshire-who-moved-to-Lancashire-lot. The Staffordshire Gaunts, according to Debrett's, are descended from the Reverend John Gaunt who was Rector of Dudly in 1530, by gift of Dudley, Duke of Northumberland, and "by ancient and uniform tradition, was a descendant of the dispersed and deprived family of Gaunt, Earls of Lincoln, whose possessions were forfeited, temp. Henry III.

While I would love to take my family back further than about 1600, this all sounds very iffy to me, despite it being Debrett's. I have looked up the Earl of Lincoln under Henry III and found that they were from the de Lacy family. Henry ruled from 1216-1272; John de Lacy was a baron in 1212 (one of those who was behind Magna Carta) after which he was excommunicated (cause and effect?), went on crusade and was made Earl of Lincoln in 1232; it came via his wife who was the only heiress of her mother, a co-heiress of a previous Earl of Lincoln, by the name of de Blondeville. John de Lacy died in 1240, but his heir was still a minor, and as his, John's title came from his wife, suo jure, she actually kept it; their son died first, and the Countess died in 1266, leaving the title to her grandson, Henry de Lacy, who died in 1311.

So that covers Henry III's reign, with not a Gaunt in sight, and nobody from Ghent, either (like John of Gaunt) to muddy the waters.

But where did my Gaunts come from?
 
I did look up John Dudley, Duke of Northumberland, having thought that their surname was Percy all through history, but there was that one who governed Edward VI and then tried to put Lady Jane grey on the throne. He was Dudley of Dudley Castle in Worcestershire, so he would probably have had a few livings in his gift, though whether or not he handed one to John Gaunt is not clear. I looked for that posting in the "Clergy of the Church of England Database 1540-1835" but was given thousands of answers to trawl through; when someone is there, in the right place at the right time, I've only had one or two answers before.

Mind you, John Gaunt is not a very original name; I can't begin to tell you how many I have in my tree :eek:
 
The best advice I can give to anyone in your position is to research your own line backwards in time and ignore what has been recorded over the centuries - if there is proof of a link, you'll find it.

The Society of Genealogists journal has published numerous articles over the years highlighting errors in medieval genealogies and if the examples you quote have not been debunked that might only be because nobody has looked at them sufficiently critically - professional genealogists have to earn a living like everybody else.

The wording "by ancient and uniform tradition, was a descendant of the dispersed and deprived family of Gaunt, Earls of Lincoln" is surely a red flag?
 
The wording "by ancient and uniform tradition, was a descendant of the dispersed and deprived family of Gaunt, Earls of Lincoln" is surely a red flag?

It is to me which is why I have posted this, yet I imagined that Debrett's, of great fame and long history, would have done due diligence and proper homework.

I would love to be able to go to my local library and look up the entry, but, being in France, the library will only have the Almanach de Gotha and/or the Dictionnaire Universel de la Noblesse de France, unless their republican fervour was uppermost when they were buying the reference section and they left all of those out!

It beggars belief the number of people who add coats of arms to their trees. There are several even which pop up frequently with a false link to mine where the owners claim a relationship to the Earl of Carnarvon, a.k.a Downford Abbey (sic) But their so-called relative isn't even called Herbert :rolleyes:
 
Back
Top