SueMay
LostCousins Member
So, I have a DNA match of 64 cM across 3 segments with a guy called David. This has been a challenge to work out but, with the help of the Masterclass, I have managed to work out other matches and felt fairly confident that I could do it again. Having studied both his tree and mine, I found we had ancestors with the same surname, both born in Ireland, living in Scotland and close in age. This being on his maternal grandfather’s branch and mine being on my maternal grandfather’s branch. I haven’t been able to confirm with documents but I feel sure that I this is our link which, if correct, makes us 4th cousins twice removed.
Interestingly, David’s maternal grandmother come from Lincolnshire which is also where I have ancestors on my father’s branch.
Other DNA matches which are also linked to David are his 1st cousin, Charlotte, with whom I have a match of 52 cM across 2 segments. And, his 1st cousin once removed, Christopher, but my DNA match with him is only 22 cM across 1 segment and we are 5th cousins once removed. I realise that DNA passed down can differ and differences should be expected, however, I wouldn’t have expected such a big difference.
Could it be that David and I also have a match on his maternal grandmother’s side? I have searched but not found anything as yet.
Am I perhaps not understanding it all or could I perhaps have the link incorrect?
I must admit that I am having fun with working out all my DNA matches and would be very interested to hear what others think.
Many thanks,
Sue
Interestingly, David’s maternal grandmother come from Lincolnshire which is also where I have ancestors on my father’s branch.
Other DNA matches which are also linked to David are his 1st cousin, Charlotte, with whom I have a match of 52 cM across 2 segments. And, his 1st cousin once removed, Christopher, but my DNA match with him is only 22 cM across 1 segment and we are 5th cousins once removed. I realise that DNA passed down can differ and differences should be expected, however, I wouldn’t have expected such a big difference.
Could it be that David and I also have a match on his maternal grandmother’s side? I have searched but not found anything as yet.
Am I perhaps not understanding it all or could I perhaps have the link incorrect?
I must admit that I am having fun with working out all my DNA matches and would be very interested to hear what others think.
Many thanks,
Sue