Emma
Member
As part of a project I have been following families in a particular Devon village through the censuses. I originally started when the 1901 census came online and followed the families who appeared in 1841 and whose descendants were still there in 1901. Of course 1911 has come online since then and some of the family names disappeared. The village was mainly a farming community and the women often left to go into service in nearby towns and sometimes to London. As I worked my way through a couple of the women proved impossible to find even by checking possible marriages. However when I got to 1911 I had a breakthrough as when searching for one of the children in Devon from 1901 I found her staying in London with an aunt thus finding one of my missing people and I was then able to track her back through the missing census entries. In 1901 she in turn had a daughter who wasn't with the family in 1911 so when searching for her lo and behold she was also staying with another aunt in London - my other missing person!