My name is David and I live near New York City. I have dabbled in family history in the past, but I became fascinated with genealogy after a family reunion six months ago. I spoke with many cousins, whom I had rarely or never met before and found their stories very intriguing. I was eager to learn more. I am still quite new at this, but I have spent much of my free time on this hobby ever since.
I love the premise of LostCousins. It was a great exercise for me to find most of my direct descendants in the 1880 US Census. All of my ancestors were living in the US by 1880 and many came much earlier. As a result, I may not find any cousins here until this service becomes more popular in America. Nonetheless, I will keep adding distant relatives who lived in England, N. Ireland and Scotland between 1881 and 1911. Perhaps I will get lucky.
I have also just discovered the FTA app. This is really a fantastic tool. I had been looking for a good way to identify relatives who might be in the NYC vitals archives from 1870 to 1930. This makes it fairly simple to find them and prepare myself for visits to the City Archives. The error checking tool is also very helpful for a new researcher like me. I have already removed several duplicates.
I look forward to exchanging tips and suggestions with all of you.
I love the premise of LostCousins. It was a great exercise for me to find most of my direct descendants in the 1880 US Census. All of my ancestors were living in the US by 1880 and many came much earlier. As a result, I may not find any cousins here until this service becomes more popular in America. Nonetheless, I will keep adding distant relatives who lived in England, N. Ireland and Scotland between 1881 and 1911. Perhaps I will get lucky.
I have also just discovered the FTA app. This is really a fantastic tool. I had been looking for a good way to identify relatives who might be in the NYC vitals archives from 1870 to 1930. This makes it fairly simple to find them and prepare myself for visits to the City Archives. The error checking tool is also very helpful for a new researcher like me. I have already removed several duplicates.
I look forward to exchanging tips and suggestions with all of you.