• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

False assumptions

Karen

Member
I have an ancestor Betty Sharples who, according to the 1841 census was NOT born in Lancashire. Sadly she died before the 1851 census, and while I tried various methods to find more about her, I was unsuccessful. Sharples is just so Lancashire a name. Then I mentioned my problem on the Lancashire Family History and Heraldry site and a member noted that there was a Betty Sharples of the right age in her tree. I did further research on this Betty and indeed she is "mine". So the moral of this tale is "don't assume the information is correct unless verified - even if the information is apparently negative."
 
Back
Top