Bob Spiers
LostCousins Superstar
I needed to speed up a project -promised a while ago to a young lady (who I shall refer to as G) – to research her family. Sadly, it went on the back-burner and only now -with a wedding looming (to my grandson no less) – I had to set about it forthwith.
It was far from easy what with her mother being adopted (with a name change by her adoptive parents); both parents had remarried were still living and each had children from different marriages. I came across so many obstacles -who belonged to whom, when/ where born, uncertainty about grand parentage and more in the same vein.
I had learned that G and most of her female relatives were big Facebook users. My wife and I use Facebook in a small way to communicate with family & friends; although I admit to belonging to a fantastic ‘old photographs’ group recommended to me by someone on the Forum as it happens. I decided to check out G’s Facebook page and see if it would help me identify both her bloodline and step parentage. It turned out to be a veritable treasure trove.
Both her mother and step-mother communicated regularly, (providing stepping stones to respective fathers, siblings and cousins). By comparing what Facebook revealed, with information gleaned from normal research, I soon learned the role of each. After than it was a much easier task to check on each using normal research methods.
I had to admit defeat on her mother’s bloodline because of her adoption as a baby, but as she had asked me to extend her adoptive line, that I was able to do. I still had ‘brick walls, but one was resolved when after studying photos and the list of those who had downloaded same, and came across a surname that decidedly rang a bell as being one of two undecided connections.
I admit it was only constant use of Facebook by her family that allowed me to progress so quickly. It was a step-by-step process, like assembling a jigsaw with each piece leading on to another. Photos were a real big help, especially those where names were tagged.
As for invasions of privacy -when presenting G with a GenoPro chart - I owned up to the invaluable help of Facebook and she and family minded not in the least. I am sure some will consider the use of Facebook in this way an intrusion, but it is a Social Medium, and I used it as such.
It was far from easy what with her mother being adopted (with a name change by her adoptive parents); both parents had remarried were still living and each had children from different marriages. I came across so many obstacles -who belonged to whom, when/ where born, uncertainty about grand parentage and more in the same vein.
I had learned that G and most of her female relatives were big Facebook users. My wife and I use Facebook in a small way to communicate with family & friends; although I admit to belonging to a fantastic ‘old photographs’ group recommended to me by someone on the Forum as it happens. I decided to check out G’s Facebook page and see if it would help me identify both her bloodline and step parentage. It turned out to be a veritable treasure trove.
Both her mother and step-mother communicated regularly, (providing stepping stones to respective fathers, siblings and cousins). By comparing what Facebook revealed, with information gleaned from normal research, I soon learned the role of each. After than it was a much easier task to check on each using normal research methods.
I had to admit defeat on her mother’s bloodline because of her adoption as a baby, but as she had asked me to extend her adoptive line, that I was able to do. I still had ‘brick walls, but one was resolved when after studying photos and the list of those who had downloaded same, and came across a surname that decidedly rang a bell as being one of two undecided connections.
I admit it was only constant use of Facebook by her family that allowed me to progress so quickly. It was a step-by-step process, like assembling a jigsaw with each piece leading on to another. Photos were a real big help, especially those where names were tagged.
As for invasions of privacy -when presenting G with a GenoPro chart - I owned up to the invaluable help of Facebook and she and family minded not in the least. I am sure some will consider the use of Facebook in this way an intrusion, but it is a Social Medium, and I used it as such.