Searching through electronic databases can be great for finding our ancestors. But we may be missing some of the information that people found when they had to laboriously go through the parish records or microfilms/microfiche.
I recently wrote to a distant cousin (I had found her after a google search of the surname). In her reply she confirmed that we are related, and pointed out that one of our ancestors had been an enumerator for the 1861 census.
When I checked on Ancestry, I confirmed that this was the case. But I also realised that I rarely look at the first pages of the census images, where the name of the enumerator is given.
Similarly, relatives may often be living next door to one another. So it is always worth looking at the members of households next door.
I recently wrote to a distant cousin (I had found her after a google search of the surname). In her reply she confirmed that we are related, and pointed out that one of our ancestors had been an enumerator for the 1861 census.
When I checked on Ancestry, I confirmed that this was the case. But I also realised that I rarely look at the first pages of the census images, where the name of the enumerator is given.
Similarly, relatives may often be living next door to one another. So it is always worth looking at the members of households next door.