• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Divorce records

sarah333

Member
Hi everybody
I wondered whether anyone can give me some advice on where I might find divorce records after 1903, (where FMP's ones seem to go up to)?
I am particularly interested in the years 1917 - 1944, where the divorce I am looking for, would be. FMP suggested I try the Probate registry. so I can look for their website, but I just wondered if anyone here knew of other places to look. I am looking on Ancestry too, but though they say they have some divorce records, they seem to be amongst marriages, so it will take longer to search.
Many thanks in advance! Sarah
 
Divorce records, for England/Wales, are available on Ancestry (in their own category) up to 1918.

From 1918 to 1937 the records are still with TNA at Kew in Series J77. Details here:

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/divorce/

From 1937 onwards you won't find case papers - but you can apply for a copy of the decree absolute through the court service, however this can be expensive if you don't have the details and need searches.

https://www.gov.uk/copy-decree-absolute-final-order
 
Thank you very much. I think I did ring up a court, quite a long time ago, and I think I was quoted £65! As you rightly say - expensive. I will check out the TNA link. I did put the relevant name into the newspaper search, but didn't come up with anything remotely connected.
 
Back
Top