Richard Cooper-Knight , who runs the Death and Service website has visited the graves of over 1700 men and women who served in World War 1 but who are buried in the UK. He began his research in Somerset but has now visited 18 counties, photographing graves and researching the families of the fallen.
I always glance at his newsletter when it arrives in my inbox and I was interested note in the latest issue (October 2025) that the sister of the soldier who died (in 1919, aged just 17) seems to have disappeared.
I had a quick look but couldn't find her marriage or death - nor was she recorded in the outgoing passenger lists, the 1921 Census, or the 1939 Register. She might have travelled within the UK - I haven't gone down that route. Or she might have changed her surname - both her parents and her only sibling were dead, and it's possible that some people incorrectly assumed that Vacher was a German surname.
I always glance at his newsletter when it arrives in my inbox and I was interested note in the latest issue (October 2025) that the sister of the soldier who died (in 1919, aged just 17) seems to have disappeared.
I had a quick look but couldn't find her marriage or death - nor was she recorded in the outgoing passenger lists, the 1921 Census, or the 1939 Register. She might have travelled within the UK - I haven't gone down that route. Or she might have changed her surname - both her parents and her only sibling were dead, and it's possible that some people incorrectly assumed that Vacher was a German surname.