Bazza43
LostCousins Member
I'm trying to find something I once used on FamilyTreeDNA (I think -- it could have been on LostCousins.)
It allows you to go from the genetic distance and the number of markers to an estimate of the distance back of the most recent common ancestor.
For example, my one and only believable Y-DNA match has a genetic distance of 1 at each level he's tested (but doesn't match myself, my ROBINSON first cousin or my ROBINSON second cousin on Family Finder). THe numbers of markers are 12 to 67, and as I recall the likely number of generations back of the match is 8. I'm afraid I forget the suggested range, but I rather think it was 6 to 10 or 12 generations.
I'm now in the position of having to advise (female) colleagues who've had relevant male relations do the Y-DNA test, and have likely results in both cases at 111 markers. I think neither has matches as close as mine. Dorothy has a genetic distance of 2 at 67 markers (and 8 at 111.) Helen has 6-8 at 111 marker. BOth fit in with expectation of the place of birth of the earliest known male ancestor's parents.
Does anyone know of a place to find this information? I can't find anything on FTDNA any more about this.
It allows you to go from the genetic distance and the number of markers to an estimate of the distance back of the most recent common ancestor.
For example, my one and only believable Y-DNA match has a genetic distance of 1 at each level he's tested (but doesn't match myself, my ROBINSON first cousin or my ROBINSON second cousin on Family Finder). THe numbers of markers are 12 to 67, and as I recall the likely number of generations back of the match is 8. I'm afraid I forget the suggested range, but I rather think it was 6 to 10 or 12 generations.
I'm now in the position of having to advise (female) colleagues who've had relevant male relations do the Y-DNA test, and have likely results in both cases at 111 markers. I think neither has matches as close as mine. Dorothy has a genetic distance of 2 at 67 markers (and 8 at 111.) Helen has 6-8 at 111 marker. BOth fit in with expectation of the place of birth of the earliest known male ancestor's parents.
Does anyone know of a place to find this information? I can't find anything on FTDNA any more about this.