• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Captain's Registers

Tim Clarke

Member
In addition to the records of the Registrar General of Shipping & Seamen at the TNA Lloyds of London kept "Captains Registers" which give details of the careers of captains and mates of merchant ships who held Masters Certificates [but not of mates who held a mates certificate only] and who were active between 1869 - 1947. These records can be found at the London Metropolitan Archives
where you can download an information leaflet [No.50] giving more details. If cannot visit in person they will carry out research for you but it currently costs £50 per hour with a minimum charge of 1 hour.
 
Thanks, Tim, a great website that with only a brief glance gave me so many sightings of my One Name Study surname ranging from 1698 to late 1800s. Can't wait until the time I have to record and place them all. Will have to give £50 an hour some more thought, though!
 
Jennie Tim appears to have linked to the Search page for the LMA and not the specific entry or the information leaflet.
Some of the LMA holdings are available online at Ancestry. These include the parish registers and also the fascinating
London, England, Poor Law and Board of Guardian Records, 1430-1930 as well as the London, England, Wills and Probate, 1507-1858

You may know this but perhaps some others don't.

However, in 2008 I had a glorious week in London mainly at the LMA and found a booklet written by my Great Uncle. Reading it left me quite glad I never knew him.:eek: I was surprised and pleased to find that the LMA was a great place to visit. I expected it to be intimidating but found the staff helpful and the system easy to navigate.
 
Jennie Tim appears to have linked to the Search page for the LMA...
Some of the LMA holdings are available online at Ancestry. .... You may know this but perhaps some others don't.
.......... and found a booklet written by my Great Uncle. Reading it left me quite glad I never knew him.:eek:

Thanks for the additions, Cathy. I did realise that LMA have a good covering of information on Ancestry but didn't remember seeing the sea-farers search results. Perhaps with all the information available I just haven't got to that part of Ancestry's results. I should imagine with the vast number of results a search throws up this must frequently happen with people and for me, that is why highlighting these links are very helpful. I will also look into the rest of LMA holdings.

You've also intrigued me with your great uncle's booklet - care to share it on Skeleton in my Closet?;)
 
Back
Top