We are all used to taking the parents' information from birth records and expecting to find a marriage some time prior to the birth. Having spend few days transcribing birth records, it occurred to me that I was unclear as to what the legal intention of the registration process was in conveying evidence of a marriage and hence legitimacy.
The various Registration Acts for England & Wales invoke penalties for the provision of false information and leave it at that. I have been unable to uncover any detailed statutory regulations earlier than 1968. The 1968 regulations go into some detail concerning legitimation where a subsequent marriage between the parents within a specified time allows for re-registration and the adjustment of the mother's surname in the entry, all of which hints at the intention to convey legitimacy.
My question really lies with the wording in the father's and mother's name columns (e.g. John Brown ..., and Mary Brown formerly Smith). Can a person reading the certificate expect to understand those words in a legal context as meaning that the two people named are married?
I'm sure this seems an obscure thing to consider, but I would be interested to know if any members have inside knowledge as to how registrars formally treat the information given. What happens if a registrar, for any reason, doubts the validity of what the informant tells them?
The various Registration Acts for England & Wales invoke penalties for the provision of false information and leave it at that. I have been unable to uncover any detailed statutory regulations earlier than 1968. The 1968 regulations go into some detail concerning legitimation where a subsequent marriage between the parents within a specified time allows for re-registration and the adjustment of the mother's surname in the entry, all of which hints at the intention to convey legitimacy.
My question really lies with the wording in the father's and mother's name columns (e.g. John Brown ..., and Mary Brown formerly Smith). Can a person reading the certificate expect to understand those words in a legal context as meaning that the two people named are married?
I'm sure this seems an obscure thing to consider, but I would be interested to know if any members have inside knowledge as to how registrars formally treat the information given. What happens if a registrar, for any reason, doubts the validity of what the informant tells them?