My admiration to all the contributors on this thread. After having read all the comments and attempting to digest all the IT information, hints and advice, I was left feeling a somewhat disadvantaged family historian as I have not embraced these skills to enhance my researches and storage of findings.
So, with the greatest respect, I am adding my comments to possibly help those like me and any fledging family historians who may also feel the same, I am putting forward and hopefully reassure all that with the help of Peter and a good family history tree maker and its associated software to store and produce personalised information reports, that family history can still be as successful.
Peter’s latest Lost Cousins Newsletter –
23rd May 2013 –is full of good knowledge and advice and is a ‘Must Read’ in my opinion. Back numbers: “…. The LostCousins newsletter is usually published fortnightly. To access the previous newsletter (dated 12 May 2013) click
here, for an index to articles from 2009-10 click
here, for a list of articles from 2011 click
here and for a list of articles from 2012-13 click
here…..”.
I suggest after reading through these, save any/all information either by bookmarking (or saving to Favorites) in a separate folder and/or in a word document or similar. These folders could be entitled “LC info’ or similar. Then, to help yourself and others and in appreciation of Peter’s vision and endeavours, add your family tree names to “
My Ancestors”. Straight away you’ll feel part of a whole new supportive ‘family’ and will be most-likely to find similar-minded, blood or by marriage, Lost Cousins and the more you enter the more chance you have of this happening.
And lastly, to all you technical whizz-peeps, sorry I can’t add to or “Test Drive” but my enduring thanks to you for enabling me to take these non-technical choices and routes!