emjay
LostCousins Member
Just had email/newsletter from 'Britain From Above' saying goodbye; my reaction was "Oh no!" however it is just the last newsletter, not the end of access to this wonderful resource 
Peter mentioned 'BritainFrom Above' in a recent newsletter,which acted as a reminder to visit the site. So, among recent additions to the collection was an aerial view of Crumpsall, Manchester in which I was able to spot my grandparents house. The photo was dated 1935 and I recalled an aunt aged 90 saying that the family
moved there when she was about 16 years old. Another aerial view dated 1932 shows other houses on the estate, some in various stages of construction, but my grandparent's house not yet built. So I began to doubt the date my Aunt May said they had moved in as it had become obvious that it must have been a newly built semi detached house ( a family of 6 children, Grandpa a sheet metal worker..how did they do it?)
I zoomed in on the 1935 image and there in the back garden...the concrete bird-bath I remember from my childhood, which later my Dad had in his garden at Macclesfield after the death of Grandpa.
My Aunt was born 1916 so she was spot-on with her recollection.
Earlier aerial views c 1910,and looking at old maps of the area of their previous house, show that also to have been fairly new, built around 1908. My Dad was born there 1911.I have a family photo of Christmas 1916 at the house with Aunt May on Grandma's lap, a baby born in June 1916.
You have to sign-in to 'Britain From Above' in order to use the zoom facilty
Peter mentioned 'BritainFrom Above' in a recent newsletter,which acted as a reminder to visit the site. So, among recent additions to the collection was an aerial view of Crumpsall, Manchester in which I was able to spot my grandparents house. The photo was dated 1935 and I recalled an aunt aged 90 saying that the family
moved there when she was about 16 years old. Another aerial view dated 1932 shows other houses on the estate, some in various stages of construction, but my grandparent's house not yet built. So I began to doubt the date my Aunt May said they had moved in as it had become obvious that it must have been a newly built semi detached house ( a family of 6 children, Grandpa a sheet metal worker..how did they do it?)
I zoomed in on the 1935 image and there in the back garden...the concrete bird-bath I remember from my childhood, which later my Dad had in his garden at Macclesfield after the death of Grandpa.
My Aunt was born 1916 so she was spot-on with her recollection.
Earlier aerial views c 1910,and looking at old maps of the area of their previous house, show that also to have been fairly new, built around 1908. My Dad was born there 1911.I have a family photo of Christmas 1916 at the house with Aunt May on Grandma's lap, a baby born in June 1916.
You have to sign-in to 'Britain From Above' in order to use the zoom facilty
Last edited by a moderator: