• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Army records

Rhian

LostCousins Member
In the last newsletter Peter mentioned ordering records from the MoD, at £30 a time. This always seemed an excessive cost to me but I eventually caved in and ordered my fathers record.

To anyone considering getting the military records of an ancestor I would suggest it might be the best data investment you could make this year. I got 30 A4 pages of records and 8 A3 pages which confirmed many facts and added lots more, including how he met my mother. Even then there were 18 months missing as he was seconded to a US group and these records were not kept by the British Army.

Following family discussions last month I intend to get the records of one of my grandfathers and I am hoping a cousin will get his fathers RAF records.
 
I also ordered my father's military record from the MoD - quite a while ago - but, unlike Rhian, got only skeleton information - in two A4 pages. At the time I was happy enough though I did wonder why there was so little information for some years. I thought that perhaps it was secret. Several years later, those years were filled in for me by the Essex Regiment Archive in Chelmsford, who also told me a whole lot more and gave me an altogether more detailed picture of my father's army career (1914-1948). I wonder if the MoD have improved their service or whether there is a time limit on information they're prepared to divulge.
 
Rhian, how long did it take for your father's records to arrive? At one time it was taking over a year - I only waited about 6 months for my father's file, but we applied for them when he was still alive and such applications are (sensibly) prioritised.
 
It only took a few weeks, and the biggest delay was in arranging payment, I needed to send a UK cheque or transfer funds from a UK bank neither of which was possible. The very helpful guy dealing with the matter suggested I could send him cash and he would make the payment for me, which worked well.
 
Back
Top