• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Are the figures on LC Website being correctly calculated?

MaryK

Member
This is not a reply - but a further question - don't know where else to put it ! Now that I am entering 1841 , 1881 and 1911 census records on "My Ancestors " - an increasing number of folk are appearing on the total list 3 times. This surely means that the figure is falsely inflated ? Or does that not matter ?
 
I have the same. I don't think it matters and it may increase your chances of finding a match if a cousin has only entered one of the censuses.
 
I put it in a new topic on the same forum, although I understand why you were hesitant as to where to put it. It would be a great help if users could comment on forum design particularly if you struggle to work out where to put a new post. As the struggle suggests we haven't yet got the design right, and every little clue helps fix that problem.
 
Now that I am entering 1841 , 1881 and 1911 census records on "My Ancestors " - an increasing number of folk are appearing on the total list 3 times. This surely means that the figure is falsely inflated ? Or does that not matter ?
I don't think they are being falsely inflated. If an ancestor appears on all 3 censuses, then you have made 3 entries, and so I'd expect to see the total go up by 3.
 
The aim of the statistics is to give subscribers a general idea of how many relatives have been entered in total, but also how few relatives the average member has entered. Although described as 'relatives' it's actually 'entries' because that's the only figure I can calculate.

However the number of distinct relatives wouldn't be noticeably different - perhaps 1% less - so the broad picture wouldn't change.
 
Back
Top