The younger generations are rarely interested in family history - it's something that usually develops as we realise just how much we don't know when our parents and grandparents are no longer around to answer questions. I would have thought that instructing your executors to close your Ancestry account would make it more difficult for your relatives to make a start, but you know them better than I do.
I certainly don't, we are a widespread family: NZ, various parts of UK, Perth in WA and Melbourne and as years have gone by we have less and less contact.
I haven't seen my daughter since 2015, I haven't met my Melbourne great niece and nephew who are both under 5. I could tell more of what people might think of as a sob story but it is the facts of life of a our family's migration. I accept it.
I took one look at what happens when an account holder in Ancestry dies and my toes curled up!
What I am doing is giving the people who are interested but may not want to take over the research full knowledge of all the people I have researched. I am documenting it all.
There is the ability to recreate my trees if anybody wants to.
The latest copies are saved in my filing cabinet in the folder labelled ..."what to do in the event of my death". Now that is sad, but in my eighties also realistic.
My instructions are in my will.
Your whole dissertation was too long to quote.
When I started using Ancestry I attached a photo of my grandparents with my mother as a baby in 1918. My mother was still alive but both grandparents were long gone.
At the time I had not attached the photo to my mother.
I'm not sure how much later it was when I found the photo had been attached to somebody else's tree. I can't quite find the words to describe how I felt but it was a disturbing experience. I then decided I should make it all Private, more so because:
My trees are not just a collection of people, I populate the Description field so that it tells a story and use family documents to illustrate a Fact or an Occasion. I have no wish to share those documents that are not available in the public domain.
Public versus Private is a matter of personal; choice and I respect people's choices.