John Dancy
LostCousins Superstar
It seems quite simple, add a new person to your tree, press the search key (ignore the 'Hints' for a bit) and see what comes up.
Tried it for Sydney Arrow Smith - Discover that he had got married in Liverpool in the 1930's, however the record Ancestry is offering is the one for the Banns, not the marriages.
Long way around: Find the Liverpool marriages through the Card Catalogue and go to the relevant parish.
Toxteth St James offers the following:
1914-1920
1920 - 1921
1923-1935
1935
So I open the 1923 - 1935 and it is the one the search found. All pages are banns of marriage.
I decide to look at the 1920-1921, even though it does not cover the 1930's, and find that it has pages 1 -218.
Rather a lot of marriages for two years. But no, it is actually the proper marriage records for all marriages at Toxteth St James between Oct 10th 1920 and 23rd Jan 1933 - it is just that beyond 1921 they are not indexed.
And, in the right place, is Sydney and his wife, and information I was looking for
it always pays to be thorough.
Tried it for Sydney Arrow Smith - Discover that he had got married in Liverpool in the 1930's, however the record Ancestry is offering is the one for the Banns, not the marriages.
Long way around: Find the Liverpool marriages through the Card Catalogue and go to the relevant parish.
Toxteth St James offers the following:
1914-1920
1920 - 1921
1923-1935
1935
So I open the 1923 - 1935 and it is the one the search found. All pages are banns of marriage.
I decide to look at the 1920-1921, even though it does not cover the 1930's, and find that it has pages 1 -218.
Rather a lot of marriages for two years. But no, it is actually the proper marriage records for all marriages at Toxteth St James between Oct 10th 1920 and 23rd Jan 1933 - it is just that beyond 1921 they are not indexed.
And, in the right place, is Sydney and his wife, and information I was looking for
it always pays to be thorough.
Last edited by a moderator: