Bob Spiers
LostCousins Superstar
For a reason best known to themselves Ancestry have changed the mode for exporting and downloading a Gedcom file. Previously it was as near to ABC as you could get once you had entered the 'Manage your Tree' section, selected 'Export Tree' (it would activate with 'Generating Gedcom file') when complete it would show as 'Download your GEDCOM file'.
Once clicked it would either request a name under which to save it or -if as in my case it was additional to many saved before- it would enter the previous name (eg Spiers-10) which I would update to (say) Spiers-11. It would then be filed as such under DOWNLOADS (or the file of your choice). Exporting this to another database, either on your PC or (say) Genes , was a simple matter of selecting the file and importing it to its new location. Easy Peasy!
Although it is not something I do that often -about every 3 months or so - the procedure is well known to me. However this time surprisingly it did not request a file name and merely opened under a new tab in my browser as a Gedcom in text format! I am no stranger to a text format Gedcom but it is not what I expected, not what I wanted -for one it is not a saved 'ged' file - and more to the point it was a deviation from previous practice.
I tried again in another of my Ancestry Tree's with the same end result -a text format Gedcom. I could save the html browser link of course, but I wanted it saved as a 'ged file' on my PC without recourse to IT 'wizardry pokery'. So here for the benefit of others who may find themselves in the same situation is the solution.
When you get to the 'Download your Gedcom file' RIGHT click on it and select from the Menu 'Save target as' option. This will open displaying your customary Download folder and request a file name (and suggest a previous file name if applicable). Name the file and 'hey presto' you have a saved Ged file for conventional export.
I shall be contacting Ancestry to vent my ire at the needless change; for all the good that will do.
Once clicked it would either request a name under which to save it or -if as in my case it was additional to many saved before- it would enter the previous name (eg Spiers-10) which I would update to (say) Spiers-11. It would then be filed as such under DOWNLOADS (or the file of your choice). Exporting this to another database, either on your PC or (say) Genes , was a simple matter of selecting the file and importing it to its new location. Easy Peasy!
Although it is not something I do that often -about every 3 months or so - the procedure is well known to me. However this time surprisingly it did not request a file name and merely opened under a new tab in my browser as a Gedcom in text format! I am no stranger to a text format Gedcom but it is not what I expected, not what I wanted -for one it is not a saved 'ged' file - and more to the point it was a deviation from previous practice.
I tried again in another of my Ancestry Tree's with the same end result -a text format Gedcom. I could save the html browser link of course, but I wanted it saved as a 'ged file' on my PC without recourse to IT 'wizardry pokery'. So here for the benefit of others who may find themselves in the same situation is the solution.
When you get to the 'Download your Gedcom file' RIGHT click on it and select from the Menu 'Save target as' option. This will open displaying your customary Download folder and request a file name (and suggest a previous file name if applicable). Name the file and 'hey presto' you have a saved Ged file for conventional export.
I shall be contacting Ancestry to vent my ire at the needless change; for all the good that will do.