Bob Spiers
LostCousins Superstar
I am used to making contacts and least of these is via Lost Cousins, although a very recent one via LC happened to coincide -in the same week - with two others both via MyH and both DNA matches. As many will know I am not a member of MyH but clearly others are and in this instance I am glad they are.
Each contact revolves around my 'Slynn' family line, a connection (for me) by marriage and quite remote, or at least it was. The combined weight of contact information however has now caused me to further research the line .
I think the biggest surprise came when opening the second MyH contact and discovering the same names as the one received a couple of days earlier -yet in a different order and context. They knew of each other but not that they had made separate contact. I was also pleased when my new LC contact -after message swapping - noted a 'Slynn' in my line as the brother of one in her line. My own prior research did not include the brother, so very useful information.
A quite separate coincidence was that the 1881 Census transcribed 'Slynn' as 'Flynn' (in both Ancestry & FMP). So, as my major Irish connection line is 'Flynn' my first thought was it likely related to my Flynn line - who wouldn't? It wasn't until I viewed the Census original, that I realised a capital 'S' had been mis-read for an 'F'. Then I spotted the error had already been advised to Ancestry.
But all in all 3 contacts each quite independently revolving around my Slynn line - so quite a tonic! (Get it ...Gin with Slimline tonic)
Each contact revolves around my 'Slynn' family line, a connection (for me) by marriage and quite remote, or at least it was. The combined weight of contact information however has now caused me to further research the line .
I think the biggest surprise came when opening the second MyH contact and discovering the same names as the one received a couple of days earlier -yet in a different order and context. They knew of each other but not that they had made separate contact. I was also pleased when my new LC contact -after message swapping - noted a 'Slynn' in my line as the brother of one in her line. My own prior research did not include the brother, so very useful information.
A quite separate coincidence was that the 1881 Census transcribed 'Slynn' as 'Flynn' (in both Ancestry & FMP). So, as my major Irish connection line is 'Flynn' my first thought was it likely related to my Flynn line - who wouldn't? It wasn't until I viewed the Census original, that I realised a capital 'S' had been mis-read for an 'F'. Then I spotted the error had already been advised to Ancestry.
But all in all 3 contacts each quite independently revolving around my Slynn line - so quite a tonic! (Get it ...Gin with Slimline tonic)
Last edited by a moderator: