Ages in years and months can be tricky to calculate, particularly if the individual had yet to celebrate their birthday, and the delay in taking the census may also have caused confusion, since the forms showed the original April date (it still causes confusion for some family historians). There was also the question of whether to always round the number of months down, or whether to round it up if that was closer.Does anyone actually believe the ages recorded on these censuses?
I have generally found the ages in the 1921 census to be pretty accurate. The only one I can recall that was wrong was my husband's grandmother whose age is given as 14 yrs 3 months when she was actually still 13. I think this was probably because she was working as a live-in domestic servant when she should have been at school!Does anyone actually believe the ages recorded on these censuses?
That's not a fair comparison since the published UK censuses don't record dates of birth, they show ages. A better comparison for the 1939 Register dates of birth would be birth register and baptism registers entries, and death register entries (after the change from age to dob).It seems we mostly all agree that the 1939 Register records more accurate dobs.
In the 1939 Register my father's cousin was staying with my parents, and his birthday was in December as was my mother's.It seems we mostly all agree that the 1939 Register records more accurate dobs.
I suspect the error was made by the enumerator when he was copying the entries into the register - you see similar things in the censuses with ages and birthplaces sometimes being switched. The fact that both birthdays were in December makes it more likely that the numbers were inadvertently switched during the transcription process.In the 1939 Register my father's cousin was staying with my parents, and his birthday was in December as was my mother's.
The month and years are correct in the Register, but the days have been transposed.
I do not know if the error was made by the family member, I assume my father, who completed the schedule or not.